W

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misscuddlemuffin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
[): UCSF, UCSD, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Davis, Michigan, Colorado, Harvard, Penn, Columbia, WashU, Johns Hopkins, Yale, NYU, Duke, Stanford, UChicago, Northwestern, Weill Cornell, Vanderbilt, Mt. Sinai, Mayo Clinic, Case Western (& Cleveland Clinic), Pitt, Hofstra, Kaiser, Emory, Keck USC
Ohio State, USF Morsani, Iowa Carver, Cincinnati, Stony Brook, Wisconsin, Arizona (Phoenix), Vermont, BU, Rochester, Tufts, Brown, Einstein, UMiami, Western Michigan, UVA, UMass,

All good choices. Rock stars should aim high!

Reactions: 1 user
You do not need to apply to 40 schools with your stats. From your definitely yes list remove CUSM since they will "yield protect". You could add Tufts, Brown and Einstein.

[): UCSF, UCSD, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Davis, Michigan, Colorado, Harvard, Penn, Columbia, WashU, Johns Hopkins, Yale, NYU, Duke, Stanford, UChicago, Northwestern, Weill Cornell, Vanderbilt, Mt. Sinai, Mayo Clinic, Case Western (& Cleveland Clinic), Pitt, Hofstra, Kaiser, Emory, Keck USC
Ohio State, USF Morsani, Iowa Carver, Cincinnati, Stony Brook, Wisconsin, Arizona (Phoenix), Vermont, BU, Rochester, Tufts, Brown, Einstein, UMiami, Western Michigan, UVA, UMass,

All good choices. Rock stars should aim high!
Thank you so much!

I want to apply broadly generally and am looking to apply to around 40 schools but can't figure out how to cut my list down, so any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to apply too top-heavy but also not sure what mid tiers to apply to given my stats.
Agree with above that 40 is a lot for someone with such a on-paper stellar app. I applied to 32 schools even though I had originally decided on 30 schools—those extra two really were just to make my anxiety feel better. Most recommend 20-25, 30 is a good number for us anxious lot, 35 is pushing it, 40 is a lot.
There aren't many mid tiers available for high-stats. Plus, you need to be okay with actually going to all of the mid tiers you choose. For me that was looking at all the big state schools and seeing if they were friendly to out of staters. Big state schools generally have very good programs but because of the way rankings are manipulated, its harder for them to climb up the ranks. Places like Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, UMass, Arizona, Rochester are all good targets with your high stats. Also, I always found it interesting which state schools were high up on the PD rankings and did sort of consider that while applying.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
crazy good stats... do you have any paid medical/clinical experience?

Make the schools recruit you. Go to recruiting events and figure out where you would really be supported and happy.

You don't give me a lot of details on your mission fit, but you are in a position where you should call your shot.

• Wow
You are a rock star - platinum grade. You're towards the strong end of pack fodder at top 20 schools; you might even be in the top ten percent for schools like that. As such, schools will be falling over themselves to interview you. Apply to maybe 15 top 20s (include WashU), your state schools, and a half dozen midtiers; ten if you're a bit risk-averse. As long as you don't bomb the interviews you'll almost certainly get, you're going to be accepted somewhere!