WAMC? Partner's Third Time Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryay3232

Reaction score
Hello, I am a current second-year USMD student who has used SDN for awhile. My partner is applying to dental school this upcoming cycle (it is her third cycle applying) and I thought that I would post a WAMC on her behalf as I am much less familiar with the dental school app and would mostly like advice on formatting her school list as the application opens soon. I'm most worried about it being her third time applying so I advised her to apply broadly.

Date of submission: Planned first day of application opening
Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.5
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.6
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA, 19 TS, 19 Bio, 18 GC, 19 OC, 25 RC, 20 QR, 20 PAT
State of Residence: WA

Undergrad Attended: Top 40 undergrad
Major: Biology (Molecular and Cellular Biology Focus)
Minor: None
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes, third time applying
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 3 offices, including general and periodontal for a total of 150 hours
Volunteering Experience: Non-dental (food bank): 500 hours; dental-related: 40 hours
Employment: Dental assistant: 1500 hours; non-dental work: 2000 hours
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Peer tutor for biology: 165 hours
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? None
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors (strong), 1 dentist (strong), volunteer coordinator for food bank (weak)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
None
School list:

- University of Washington
- Boston University
- Arizona School of Dentistry Oral Health
- Case Western
- East Carolina Uni
- USC
- Indiana U SOD
- Louisiana State U
- Medical University of South Carolina
- Midwestern AZ
- Midwestern IL
- OSHU
- NOVA
- Rutgers
- Stony Brook
- University at Buffalo
- University of Colorado
- University of Florida
- University of Maryland
- University of Nebraska
- University of North Carolina
- University of the Pacific DS
- VCU
- NYU

I appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a current second-year USMD student who has used SDN for awhile. My partner is applying to dental school this upcoming cycle (it is her third cycle applying) and I thought that I would post a WAMC on her behalf as I am much less familiar with the dental school app and would mostly like advice on formatting her school list as the application opens soon. I'm most worried about it being her third time applying so I advised her to apply broadly.

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA, 19 TS, 19 Bio, 18 GC, 19 OC, 25 RC, 20 QR, 20 PAT

Minority? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 3 offices, including general and periodontal for a total of 150 hours
Volunteering Experience: Non-dental (food bank): 500 hours; dental-related: 40 hours
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors (strong), 1 dentist (strong), volunteer coordinator for food bank (weak)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: None
School list:
- Boston University
- Case Western
- East Carolina Uni
- USC
- Indiana U SOD
- Louisiana State U
- Midwestern AZ
- Midwestern IL
- OSHU
- NOVA
- Rutgers
- Stony Brook
- University at Buffalo
- University of Colorado
- University of Florida
- University of Maryland
- University of Nebraska
- VCU
- NYU

I appreciate the help!
what were the dates of her first two applications? school list? results (how many interviews/where/waitlists/rejections)?

Reactions: 1 user
I would remove ECU - they don’t accept any OOs students so you’re throwing money away.

I wouldn’t apply to stony or UFlorida since being on the far west coast geographically you’re not a favorable candidate and her metrics fall below average for their classes and they’re very strict on OOs students for who they let in. Unless she has good connections to either state/school. UNC would also be a pretty big reach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Burying the lead here: this is a third cycle? As requested, what were the results from those cycles? What were any previous DATs?

More importantly, what are your intentions? Do you want to be separated? How about your residency plans? When are you getting married? Applying broadly doesn't quite work if you are getting married. Kids?

what were the dates of her first two applications? school list? results (how many interviews/where/waitlists/rejections)?
First application:
- Submitted 7/10/22 (but processed 8/19/22 due to late DAT)
- School list: University of Washington
- Result: No interview
I'm actually not quite sure why she applied in the 22-23 cycle because her DAT was late and she only applied to one school. Perhaps she was taking a shot in the dark. Regardless, I would have advised her not to apply that cycle

Second application:
- Submitted 7/8/23
- School list: University of Washington, Boston U, Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health, Nova, University of the Pacific
- Result: No interviews
Also unsure of why she submitted late this cycle and to only 5 schools.

This upcoming cycle will be the first time she is applying with my help. Obviously, her previous cycles' timelines and school lists are not the best, and I'm really trying to get her to optimize her application and push her because I'm most worried that it's her third cycle.
I would remove ECU - they don’t accept any OOs students so you’re throwing money away.

I wouldn’t apply to stony or UFlorida since being on the far west coast geographically you’re not a favorable candidate and her metrics fall below average for their classes and they’re very strict on OOs students for who they let in. Unless she has good connections to either state/school. UNC would also be a pretty big reach.
Thank you, I've told her to consider taking these schools off the list.
Burying the lead here: this is a third cycle? As requested, what were the results from those cycles? What were any previous DATs?

More importantly, what are your intentions? Do you want to be separated? How about your residency plans? When are you getting married? Applying broadly doesn't quite work if you are getting married. Kids?
She has one previous DAT (AA 19) that she used to apply to the previous two cycles. She retook the DAT and is applying this upcoming cycle with the score in the original post.

As for my intentions, best case scenario would be if she could get into my school (VCU) but I understand that this is a long shot. Second best would be if she was accepted to an east coast school so that we could at least see each other a few times a semester. There is also the option of me doing residency wherever she goes to dental school (also understand that this is a long shot with the Match being unforgiving). Regardless, since she graduated from college early (she is currently 22) I feel like we still have a lot of time before starting to consider marriage and kids. Of course, it's not optimal, but I'm willing to do long distance if school/residency location doesn't work out in our favor.

First application:
- Submitted 7/10/22 (but processed 8/19/22 due to late DAT)
- School list: University of Washington
- Result: No interview
I'm actually not quite sure why she applied in the 22-23 cycle because her DAT was late and she only applied to one school. Perhaps she was taking a shot in the dark. Regardless, I would have advised her not to apply that cycle

Second application:
- Submitted 7/8/23
- School list: University of Washington, Boston U, Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health, Nova, University of the Pacific
- Result: No interviews
Also unsure of why she submitted late this cycle and to only 5 schools.

This upcoming cycle will be the first time she is applying with my help. Obviously, her previous cycles' timelines and school lists are not the best, and I'm really trying to get her to optimize her application and push her because I'm most worried that it's her third cycle.

Thank you, I've told her to consider taking these schools off the list.

She has one previous DAT (AA 19) that she used to apply to the previous two cycles. She retook the DAT and is applying this upcoming cycle with the score in the original post.

As for my intentions, best case scenario would be if she could get into my school (VCU) but I understand that this is a long shot. Second best would be if she was accepted to an east coast school so that we could at least see each other a few times a semester. There is also the option of me doing residency wherever she goes to dental school (also understand that this is a long shot with the Match being unforgiving). Regardless, since she graduated from college early (she is currently 22) I feel like we still have a lot of time before starting to consider marriage and kids. Of course, it's not optimal, but I'm willing to do long distance if school/residency location doesn't work out in our favor.
7/8 the second cycle is not late

what were her complete dat scores for the first attempt?

7/8 the second cycle is not late

what were her complete dat scores for the first attempt?
That's good to hear, she is probably going to submit a little later than expected

Her first attempt was 19 AA, 17 TS, 18 Bio, 17 GC, 16 OC, 23 RC, 19 QR, 20 PAT

Is there a reason why she can't wait until your residency path is determined?

So now she's going from applying to 1 school (presumably state school) to 5 schools (including reapplying to state school) to a bunch more.

What feedback has she gotten from UW?

Minority? No
Nontrad? No

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: None
School list:
- Boston University
- Case Western
- East Carolina Uni
- USC
- Indiana U SOD
- Louisiana State U
- Midwestern AZ
- Midwestern IL
- OSHU
- NOVA
- Rutgers
- Stony Brook
- University at Buffalo
- University of Colorado
- University of Florida
- University of Maryland
- University of Nebraska
- VCU
- NYU

I appreciate the help!
first of all, you are clearly thinking like a premed with this list
it's way too long and a ton of the schools are unrealistic
she needs to apply to closer publics to even have a chance at an interview
and privates that she has mission fit
please get back to us when you folks have a more realistic list...

- East Carolina Uni
- University of Florida
these schools take a vast majority of IS students are her grades/dat are way outside of their oos range

- Indiana U SOD
- Louisiana State U
- Rutgers
- Stony Brook
- University at Buffalo
- University of Maryland
- University of Nebraska
- VCU
these publics are far away from washington, and unlikely to offer her interviews due to her stats

is a 3 year school and loves HIGH dats and needs to know that a student can withstand the rigors of their program

Tell your partner to remove NYU from the list. I would not consider NYU if it was your partner's third or even fourth time applying. It's just not worth going to.