This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1164909

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, have you decided that dentistry is the field you wish to pursue? Not too long ago you were in-between dentistry, medicine, and pharmacy. So you just need to be absolutely certain this is the route you want to go down, because it will get more and more expensive the further you push yourself in the application process. All-in-all it was around $7,000 for me to go from I want to apply to dental school, to officially enrolling to start this august. Which then I will take 80k out in student loans to complete my first year, and finish around 450k in debt with interest accrued in dental school on top of undergraduate school loans. So just make sure you are ready to take on this debt to pursue what you want to do in life.

With all that said, it will be extremely difficult to determine how you fair in the application process without an official DAT score. A 19AA is vastly different than a 23AA and those scores mean different things for applying in your situation. A 3.1 GPA is 0.5 points below the national average of all matriculants for dental schools in the US. A 3.5 GPA in your masters program is still below the national average, which was a 3.61. The other difficult thing is that your masters program isn't an SMP, so it will be difficult for schools to judge your program's academic difficulty, as masters programs outside of SMP's could be argued as grade inflators, and having a 3.5 doesn't necessarily look great if the average GPA for your program is significantly higher bc the classes are "easier". Not to say that they are easy, this is just something that can occur and admissions might be weary.

As for taking the DAT, everyone is different in how they take exams. There are some tricks to some types of questions, but I can't remember any specifics. You'll have to rely on DAT Booster to help guide you on how to take it. I also strongly suggest you take as many practice exams as you can to get a general idea of how you'd do. Because you have accommodations at your university, I would strongly suggest reaching out to ADA to try and get accommodations for your exam. This could help you tremendously and isn't looked down upon. If you need it, use your resources so you can do the best that you can on the exam.

Your EC's are very extensive, so I'm not too worried about those. What worries me is your academic record. You say you are more than capable of doing well in dental school, but your record shows you've had a really hard time in school, with a lot of withdrawals. I also don't know what your GPA has been since you've received accommodations, so I can't say whether or not you've really reinvented yourself to convince Adcoms you're prepared. Especially being your master's isn't an SMP, so they can't make a case for your master's program being rigorous either. However, if this is what you want, keep pushing and doing as best as you possibly can. Try to aim for the highest GPA possible in your masters program if you can. You will really have to convince schools that you are capable of handling 18-24 credits (8-14 classes) a semester, each semester, for 4 years.

On a side note, have you gone back and retaken Chemistry 1, Biology 1, Calc 1? Those are prereqs for schools that you will have to have taken. Calc 1 could maybe be substituted for college algebra. But the general consensus is Bio 1/2 with labs, Chem 1/2 with labs, Ochem 1/2 with labs, Physics 1/2 with labs, English and composition, and 2 semesters of Math (calc 1/2 or stats, maybe college algebra you'd have to check individual schools), and Biochem. You can add on Anatomy, physiology, and microbiology and that should make you capable of applying to every school in the US. But without those last 3, you can still apply to many.

Keep pushing, it can be difficult to try and build yourself back up after struggling for so long. But now that you have the accommodations that you need, use that to push you to do as best as you can. You'll really want to study hard for the DAT, aiming for the highest score you can get to show adcoms you are capable of studying for a large exam over a long period of time. You can do this. Good luck!

My undergrad GPA is 3.1 and my graduate GPA is 3.5. I need guidance as to what else can I do to improve my chances to get into dental school. I know my GPA isn't the highest, but I want to make up for it.

Resume:

Life Experiences:

Medicine:

Shadowing:

Mission Dental Clinic (04/2023): Shadowed dentists who performed fillings and extractions for lower-income individuals.
Hospital (04/2023-05/2023): Shadowed medical physicists, radiation therapists, medical dosimetrist, and nurses during their daily tasks with cancer patients.
South Cooper Animal Hospital (03/2023-04/2023): Observed medical examinations and assist with procedures for dogs and cats, where I acquired animal handling, medical terminology, and diagnostic skills.

Research:
(02/2023-04/2023): Replicating research from ‘The Selective Coloration of Melanin Nanospheres Through Resonant Mie Scattering; to understand how dopamine hydrochloride concentrations are eventually used to change the color of hair, and internal auditing of biophysics.

Volunteering:

Hospice Plus (03/2023 to Present): Visited patients at their homes and provided light housework around the home.
Red Cross, Service to the Armed Forces (01/2023-03/2023): Maintained stock and provided administrative support to patients, improving my attention to detail, communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
American Cancer Society, Hope Lodge (10/2022-Present): Stocked inventory, answered calls, checked out patients, developing my skills in compassion, active listening, organization, interpersonal communication, adaptability, and teamwork.
AIDS Outreach Center/CAN Community Health, (07/2022-04/2023): Worked with a nutritionist to cook healthy meals for HIV clients where I developed proficiency in teamwork, independent work, inventory organization, and home test kit packaging while gaining cultural competency.
Law:

National C.U.R.E. (11/2022-Present): Provided non-legal support by creating transcripts for potential clients to forward to attorneys and assisting with cases to contact superiors, aiming to prove innocence and provide justice. Additionally, created a website for a presumed innocent man and contacted attorneys, writers, and senators who have the potential to look at this case forward in the hope of reducing the sentence.
Skills obtained: compassion and empathy.
National Center for Reason and Justice (08/2022-Present): Corresponded with prisoners as a pen pal and contacted individuals who submitted help requests at the Center to help, creating submissions to document their stories and helping them find attorneys.
Also:
MS in Information Systems, (01/2023 - Present)
Relevant coursework: Management Information Systems and Advanced System Analysis and Design
UCSD, Extended Studies, Summer of 2022
Relevant Coursework: Microbiology and Biochemistry
BSc in Physics, (08/2018 - 12/2021)
Relevant coursework: Thermodynamics, Optics, Astrophysics
Extracurricular activities: Member of Women in Physics
Associate of Science, (07/2018 - 12/2022)
Relevant coursework: Genetics, General Chemistry I/II
Extracurricular activities: Phi Theta Kappa, Dean's/Honor's List, Student Government Association, Global Solutions
Associate of Science, (07/2019 - 12/2021)
Relevant coursework: Organic Chemistry I/II, Anatomy & Physiology, Calculus I-III
Valedictorian in HS (08/2015 - 03/2018)

I have always been interested in helping people, and I believe that dentistry is a perfect way for me to do that. I am particularly interested in working with HIV and cancer patients, as I have seen firsthand the impact that these diseases can have on their oral health. I have volunteered at my local American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge and CAN Community Care as well as AIDS Outreach Center/ AIDS Healthcare Foundation, and I have been inspired by the strength and resilience of these patients. Currently, I am shadowing a general dentist and a dental technician who has made crowns and dentures for HIV and cancer patients, my exact interest!

I know that my academic record is not the strongest, but I believe that my passion for dentistry and my commitment to helping others make me a strong applicant. I have withdrawn from a few classes due to medical reasons, but I have always been able to recover and succeed in my coursework. I am currently in an online master's program to learn about Information Systems and Accounting, and I am on track to graduate early with my current GPA being 3.5. I am always willing to put in the extra effort to succeed.

I am confident that I have the skills and the passion to be a successful dentist. I am eager to learn more about your dental school and I would be grateful for the opportunity to discuss my application with you in more detail. I have a few Cs and a D on my transcript, and I withdrew from a few classes. I am not proud of these grades, but I believe that they do not reflect my true academic potential. I have learned a lot from my mistakes, and I am confident that I can succeed in dental school.

I would like to be transparent with you about my academic record. I have withdrawn from the following classes due to medical reasons:

Contemporary Math (Fall 2018)
Precalculus (Spring 2019)
Biology I (Spring 2019)
Chemistry I (Spring 2019)
Quantitative Chemistry Lecture and Lab (Spring 2021)
Calculus I (Summer 2019)
Differential Equations (Summer 2021)

Specifically, my withdrawals came from my beginning math courses from Contemporary Math, Precalculus, and Biology and Chemistry I, Quantitative Chemistry (when I wondered if chemistry was the right second major for me). C's in Calculus I and II, and beginning Spanish, and the biology series. As well as a 'D' in Differential Equations which was my last math course for my physics major.

When I graduated with 'F's and D's on my transcripts, I had a 2.750 GPA and when I spoke to the dean of student affairs who understood my mental health problems throughout my time there, they were able to replace the failing grades with Ws, not removing it from my transcript but my GPA instead to the GPA of 3.247. On a side academic note, I took biochemistry and microbiology classes after graduating as a personal interest which I believe would help me in the future.

I was diagnosed with several mental health disorders, which made it difficult for me to focus in class and study for exams, leading to my failure in these classes.

I am now in a much better place mentally and academically. I am also receiving accommodations from my university's disability office. I have been able to maintain a high GPA in my master's program, and I am confident that I can succeed in dental school.

In addition to the above, I would like to add the following:

I have been working on improving my manual dexterity by diamond painting. This has required me to have precise hand-eye coordination and to be able to bend and twist my hands in different ways.

I haven't taken the DAT as I'm currently studying through DAT Booster. Advice for taking the DAT? Any advice once I'm taking the test such as the process of elimination?
so the Ds and Fs are still on your transcripts and not Ws?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like you really just need to focus and finish strong with your masters and absolutely crush the DAT. Just keep your eyes on the prize, try to not focus on big picture but rather take one step at a time. Right now that should be getting high GPA's and scoring well on the DAT. after that we can focus on building your application and prepping it for next cycle

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
When you think of any advice for the DAT, that would be wonderful.
all I can offer now is practice, practice, practice. Take as many practice exams as you can, I got to 7 before taking the official one. Bio has the most material you need to know, ochem isn't as difficult as you think it will be (just know your reactions), and gen chem you need to know basic equations. Don't slack off on the PAT. Do practice problems every day. I think I did around 1,000 PAT problems before I took the exam. I did about 10-25 a day for a while and then grinded to get the rest done.

I would also say don't rush into anything, take your time if you can afford to with the exam. Some people try to take it after a month of studying, which can be tough. I spent around 4 months studying before I took it. Also, don't make sure you schedule your exam early, like months early. Slots fill up fast. When I wanted to schedule it over my winter break I had to travel 2 hours and spend the night in another city bc the 2 exam centers closer to me were booked out for 4-6 months bc I needed accommodations. So I would book it right away when you have an idea of when you'd like to take it so you aren't having to travel to take it.

Just do some problems every day, it will seem like a lot at first but it'll get better.

I have retaken all of the classes that I have failed. I had to take the Calculus series for my degree plus Diff Eq. I took Contemp. Math when I was a Political Science major and received a D, which I eventually requested a late withdrawal, and the grade has been replaced with a W.
please list the grades on the retakes...

Members don't see this ad :)
Contemporary Math: I didn't retake it, I switched majors.
Calculus I: C
Gen Chem: B
Gen Bio: C
Pre-Cal: Didn't retake it, my school let me go to Cal I.
Diff Eq: D, but my school let me graduate. It was a university-level math course.
have you taken any upper level sciences?
what were your grades?

What advice do you have for an amazing personal essay and other written statements for dental school applications?
just write down ideas at first
then storyboard
write many drafts
have many different viewpoints read it
but most of all, know when to quit...

Reactions: 1 users
Hello. Should I add more classes after taking the first set or should I take one of the classes from the second set as well? Current plan for upper-level biology classes: genetics, immunology, cell/molecular biology, histology, and neuroanatomy. Should I add more after this? @macsak @Mr.Smile12 @Ryxndek
That seems good, just make sure you do well in them. That’s a lot of upper division science courses so just make sure you succeed in the classes, I don’t think you’d necessarily need more unless you really wanted to

Reactions: 1 users
But with my history mentioned above, should it be fine? Five doesn't seem like a lot.
All at once is a lot. Usually someone would take 1-2 of those a semester along with other classes. Just work hard and do as best as you can. I’d see how you do in those classes before taking any more. You could look into physiology, Biochem, biostats, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.