WAMC School List help - 511 MCAT, NY ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spidey_ye

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I just got my MCAT score back (retook from a 509) --> 511 (127/128/126/130). I don't think I am going to retake my MCAT score and have decided to just apply for the cycle. My bio score went down a lot (129 from 1st attempt to 125) which is what dropped me and everything else went up lol)

My application has clinical hours (1500+ hours) , research (1000+ and 2 pubs (1 pending)) , and nonclinical volunteering (500). I would say that my application is a little research heavy but one doesn't really outweigh the other but I don't think I am service-heavy. I don't have anything that's like super-star quality either.

1. Medical Scribe - 1100 hours
2. Direct Support Professional (500 hours) - basically tutor/mentor students with autism (teaching them academic subjects but also social skills/counseling and other hobbies like video editing or bible study class)
3. Community Habilitation (150 hours) - Co-worker and I take these students outside to make them more independent and develop essential life skills (like walking the street, grocery shopping, cooking etc.) - independent of company and we started to this ourselves bc these children often wanted to do these things but their parents were too busy or they didn't feel comfortable asking them.
4. Clinical Research - (500 hours) 2 years - I got 2 pubs (3rd and 5th author - 1 manuscript pending I'm 3rd author)
5. Teacher for neuroscience disorders (60 hours) - correlates with my clinical research and I teach disadvantaged high school students to become public health ambassadors
6. Undergrad Research - honors requirement for 3 sem (won award for biology research at undergrad symposium)
7. Food Pantry - (60 hours - also gave out info for health insurance and other services to the community)
8. Shadowing (did 4 specialties - total to be like 150 hours (focused mostly on peds))
9. VP of Hospital Volunteering Club
10. Gap year - ABA Behavioral Technician (Part-time job)
11. Volunteering with children (apart of the club)
12. Tutor bio, chem to at-risk students ( moms, students working FT jobs, etc.)
13. Volunteer EMT in NYC

I wanted to go MD but I know my mcat score is low. Here are some schools I have so far but pls feel free to lmk which ones I should remove or add!

Stonybrook (big reach but it was my dream school)
Hofstra (also big reach)
Albany
NYMC
Upstate
Downstate (Idk my chances here)
Buffalo
NYIT
Touro
Temple
Drexel

I would like to stay in NY but I am not sure of my chances at these schools. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel