Want to do OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mondoburger

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Guys,

I've just started my 3rd year of dental school.
I've really had my heart set on OMFS.


Unfortunately, I didn't score as high on my Part 1, as I could have.

I ended up with a 92 overall (just received my scores a few weeks ago).

Really I feel discouraged, considering how much time I spent studying for the exam.

My GPA is pretty good (should be at least a 3.7), although I haven't had it calculated yet. (but my school is not class ranked).

Please advise me on my chances, and if you would recommend me retaking my part 1 exam. If not, how many externships should I be doing?

Thanks a lot SDN.
 
I don't think you need to retake Part I. A 92 is a good score, and I think you would be competitive for either a 4-year or a 6-year program. Since you don't have a score of 95 or higher, I would say that other credentials (research, leadership, extracurriculars, etc.) would really help your cause. Externships are the most important though (after board score and gpa/rank), so just get as much experience as time allows for you.