• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Want to do OMFS

mondoburger

Oct 6, 2009
    Hi Guys,

I've just started my 3rd year of dental school.
    I've really had my heart set on OMFS.

Unfortunately, I didn't score as high on my Part 1, as I could have.

I ended up with a 92 overall (just received my scores a few weeks ago).

Really I feel discouraged, considering how much time I spent studying for the exam.

My GPA is pretty good (should be at least a 3.7), although I haven't had it calculated yet. (but my school is not class ranked).

Please advise me on my chances, and if you would recommend me retaking my part 1 exam. If not, how many externships should I be doing?

Thanks a lot SDN.

Mohab

Apr 20, 2009
    Texas
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I don't think you need to retake Part I. A 92 is a good score, and I think you would be competitive for either a 4-year or a 6-year program. Since you don't have a score of 95 or higher, I would say that other credentials (research, leadership, extracurriculars, etc.) would really help your cause. Externships are the most important though (after board score and gpa/rank), so just get as much experience as time allows for you.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.