-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WJV031

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you all think that the weight of coursework taken during COVID, which is all online, will be less than that of in-person coursework that was taken before COVID started? For instance, would an admissions office be suspicious if an applicant had a mediocre GPA before the switch to online classes but demonstrated an upward trend after the switch to online courses?

Personally, I expect that the next few graduating classes of pre-meds will have slightly inflated grade point averages as a result of curves not being enforced, academic dishonesty, and less weight on exams in online classes. Not sure how this would impact admissions and how these semesters would be looked at if this truly was the case.
Who knows? But, assuming you are correct, the impact will be neutral because the rising tide will lift all ships.

And by the way, for every person benefiting from increased generosity in grading or enhanced ability to cheat, someone else is struggling and taking classes P/F, so the impact is not going to be the same for everyone. I think it's going to be one year out of three or four, and schools look at lots of other data points, so coursework taken during COVID is not going to make or break anyone.

To directly answer your question, JMHO -- if the rest of someone's application, including MCAT score, is mediocre, but they have have a "strong upward trend" for online classes, no, that's not going to overcome an otherwise weak application and cause schools to be falling over themselves to sign them up.

It's way too hard to put together the effects that are often times going in opposite directions. I don't think it'd be worth the breath or brain power.

As I say to all of my students, crush everything in front of you and the rest will shake itself out over time.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

It's way too hard to put together the effects that are often times going in opposite directions. I don't think it'd be worth the breath or brain power.

As I say to all of my students, crush everything in front of you and the rest will shake itself out over time.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Agree. Ultimately, your job is to do well, whether your courses are online or in person. I would worry less about what admissions committees will think about specific performance and worry more about what you can do to improve your grades (or continue to do well if you have all A's), regardless of the course format.

An A is an A, and if you get A's, there's no doubt that you did as well as you could.