This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are going to get rejected everywhere along the way OP. You've got to accept that.

Your life is bigger than a single program or a single opportunity. You can overcome these barriers. They make you stronger. It all works out in the end, even if you don't see it at the time.

I interviewed for a fellowship program today, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make the cut. It's so disappointing because I always manage to get very close to being accepted before suddenly being rejected. I don't know if it's just me, or if this happens to a lot of people, but I can tell you it hurts.

I'm having a difficult time getting through this without blaming myself or wishing I did better, so I'm looking for some support. This program was pretty much my last option at getting the dream gap year job. I'm finally getting a taste for what it must feel like to be rejected from med school interviews after trying so hard to secure an acceptance :(

So...for those that have been rejected or messed up their interviews, how do you deal with the aftermath? How do you move on from knowing you'll never have the chance to realize that dream program or opportunity?

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed for a fellowship program, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make the cut. It's so disappointing because I always manage to get very close to being accepted before suddenly being rejected. I don't know if it's just me, or if this happens to a lot of people, but I can tell you it hurts.

I'm having a difficult time getting through this without blaming myself or wishing I did better, so I'm looking for some support. This program was pretty much my last option at getting the dream gap year job. I'm finally getting a taste for what it must feel like to be rejected from med school interviews after trying so hard to secure an acceptance :(

So...for those that have been rejected or messed up their interviews, how do you deal with the aftermath? How do you move on from knowing you'll never have the chance to realize that dream program or opportunity?
When one door closes another one opens. YOU have to find that door and go through it.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all remember an interview is not a perfect representation of you. It's just a glimpse of who you are and sometimes it doesn't go well. I've had a couple gap years and went on many different interviews both for jobs and med schools. I've had interviews go amazing and get rejected and I've had interviews that I thought were awful and still got offered the job.

As Toutie mentioned they'll be something else. For the jobs I haven't gotten something else usually comes along that works out better for me in the long run.

The best thing you can do is maximize your chances by going on as many interviews as possible. It can be difficult to get a job out of college. I know many people who struggled with the transition but just hang in there. As you get more experience finding a job will get easier and easier.

Last edited:
Haha yes, I'm hoping another door will open soon. So far it's been a bunch of closed ones :( guess I'll just see what happens. If nothing works out, then screw it. I'll still apply this cycle and travel my gap year away.
And you know what...if you do end up traveling your gap year away...that may just be the exact door that was meant to open for you!

But there seems to be no end to this struggle! It's been 3 years, how much more time will it take before it works out? Not sure what I'm doing wrong lol how do I succeed as an ordinary person in a pool of extraordinary individuals? :shrug:

I know sometimes life feels kind of like an endless series of doors slammed in your face. I've gotten so many rejections over the years that I've stopped keeping track. But remember not to pin your self worth on each success or failure. You are extraordinary in your own way, and someone will see that in you, and give you an opportunity because of it. That opportunity might come now or later, but it will definitely come!

I know this feeling way too well. Just remember, it can't rain everyday. If you can't get in through the doors, try the window.

My dream med school was Hopkins. I put in a ton of time and thought and effort into writing the secondary so that it'd be as representative as possible. They rejected me without even offering an interview. I interviewed at a lot of place and was waitlisted at most of them. In the end I've gotten into two programs, neither of which I really expected to be in, but I've found that the paths offered in those places might be a better fit for me than what I thought I wanted at the time. In my opinion everything works out, but only if you see each place you end up as an opportunity to learn and experience things you didn't necessarily know about. Everything can work for your good somehow if you work hard and don't quit even when you want to more than anything.

Reactions: 3 users
Man I tried so hard to get a job between college and med school and got like 3 interviews. Sucked hardcore to think that all those people didn't want me. Self esteem was in the toilet. 4 years later I'm interviewing at Michigan and Penn for a job.