What are the best comments you’ve read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best comments to receive on your third year rotations on your evals as a future psychiatrist? I’m assuming things like really good communicator and very empathic are good but what are comments you guys have read on students evals that have impressed you when reading their applications?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the best comments to receive on your third year rotations on your evals as a future psychiatrist? I’m assuming things like really good communicator and very empathic are good but what are comments you guys have read on students evals that have impressed you when reading their applications?
“Perfom like third yar mes studnt” - verbatim quote....that ended up in my MSPE...from someone who never evaluated me in a clinical setting, and I had ~10min of interaction with...

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In an effort to take you seriously... Some of the nicest things said on my MSPE that were brought up during my interview season were along the lines of: "Performance exceeds level expected of intern at this time (early fall as an MS-4)", "We hope to match him to our program" (Psych attending at a favorite program in the Midwest). There are definitely things that stand out, but unless they are substantiated with something meaningful it won't really boost you up. But... just having flowery language is a given on your app. If it is missing, it is assumed you pissed someone off.

Reactions: 1 user
“Perfom like third yar mes studnt” - verbatim quote....that ended up in my MSPE...from someone who never evaluated me in a clinical setting, and I had ~10min of interaction with...

Hahaha that was my obgyn review. Same situation too.

My surgical rotation comment seemed to get the most attention - “Too caring to be an effective surgeon.” That was all of it.

I’m sure it was meant to be negative, but psych faculty loved it.

Reactions: 19 users
From my intern year medicine rotation evals, getting low scores on the professionalism section: "While it was obvious that Dr. WingedOx cared about his patients, he would often make comments in the resident room before clinical tasks such as "Ok, let's get this over with."

...which is a habit I still haven't broken.

Reactions: 7 users
From my intern year medicine rotation evals, getting low scores on the professionalism section: "While it was obvious that Dr. WingedOx cared about his patients, he would often make comments in the resident room before clinical tasks such as "Ok, let's get this over with."

...which is a habit I still haven't broken.

I find that cynicism is a great protective factor in provider burnout. But maybe that's just me :)

Reactions: 3 users
From my psych ER rotation: “Student Doctor NontradCA is a hero.”

I find that cynicism is a great protective factor in provider burnout. But maybe that's just me :)

I'm pretty sure I have whatever the male version of "resting bitch face" is, so I always got knocked for lack of enthusiasm throughout MS3-4. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed taking call as an early resident. I finally got to put into practice all the stuff I learned without having to feel like I was putting on a performance for someone ranking above me who was watching me the whole time.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure I have whatever the male version of "resting bitch face" is, so I always got knocked for lack of enthusiasm throughout MS3-4. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed taking call as an early resident. I finally got to put into practice all the stuff I learned without having to feel like I was putting on a performance for someone ranking above me who was watching me the whole time.

It's RDF.

About 10 years ago an OB/GYN from Florida wrote: "He was very enthusiastic in the performance of pelvic examinations". I assume this was a compliment, but it generally gets a laugh.

Reactions: 14 users
In an effort to take you seriously... Some of the nicest things said on my MSPE that were brought up during my interview season were along the lines of: "Performance exceeds level expected of intern at this time (early fall as an MS-4)", "We hope to match him to our program" (Psych attending at a favorite program in the Midwest). There are definitely things that stand out, but unless they are substantiated with something meaningful it won't really boost you up. But... just having flowery language is a given on your app. If it is missing, it is assumed you pissed someone off.

Why would you require effort to take my question seriously...?

My M3 psych eval (included in my Dean's Letter) included the comment "Student Doctor EB is very well dressed."
Very happy to know that my future employers have evidence I'm not a total schlub.

Why would you require effort to take my question seriously...?

I think because these threads tend to have a comedic bent and this was kind of headed that way by the time they posted

Reactions: 1 users
All of my MSPE comments were pretty solid, but the best one was from my first M4 rotation "Student Dr. Stagg...is functioning well above the level of many residents and will be an asset to any program. It was a privilege to have him as a student and I hope to be able to hire him when he completes residency." That one meant a lot to me because it came from my mentor and the attending who led me to pursue psych in the first place.

Also nearly had a panic attack while discussing one of my LORs with an APD at an interview:

APD: "Huh, that's interesting. This is the shortest LOR I've ever seen."

Me: "Really? If you don't mind me asking, how long is it?"

APD: "It's 3 sentences."

*Stagg goes pale

APD: "Oh don't worry, it's also one of the best LORs I've read. You actually should thank Dr. FM for writing it because it really is an outstanding letter."

I don't know what the attending wrote, but I'd really like to know how 3 sentences came across as so impressive to that APD.

About 10 years ago an OB/GYN from Florida wrote: "He was very enthusiastic in the performance of pelvic examinations". I assume this was a compliment, but it generally gets a laugh.

This is the best thing I've read in a long time.

Last edited:
Cutest one I had was: "Coupd'cat possessed a lovely character."

Felt very 1800s, but I dig it