What Counts as Animal Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pomeranian

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does animal experience that we enlist on the VMCAS application have to be direct animal-handling experience? I'm a little confused because I volunteer at a horse ranch where there is sometimes direct animal-handling experience and sometimes not, like cleaning stables. Does that all count as animal experience? Also, I am currently volunteering for a research lab by dissecting crocodile intestines and looking for parasites in them. Even though the animal is not alive, would that still count as animal experience?
 
I would count the horse farm as animal experience, because even when you aren't directly handling them, you are involved in the husbandry aspect.

I would count the research lab as research, not animal experience.

Hope that's a help! Good luck!
 
I would count it as animal experience, veterinary if under a vet. I volunteered at the animal disease diagnostic lab. Obviously all of the animals were dead. It still counted as vet experience though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad