X

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took up woodworking. Shop in my garage. Making an entertainment unit now. Just stained it. The ones I'm modeling it after go for $1500 and I spent less than $100 on wood. Going to make a farm table for my dining room soon. Those things cost $8000 and have $200 worth of wood in them. Super fun.

Also reading.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took up woodworking. Shop in my garage. Making an entertainment unit now. Just stained it. The ones I'm modeling it after go for $1500 and I spent less than $100 on wood. Going to make a farm table for my dining room soon. Those things cost $8000 and have $200 worth of wood in them. Super fun.

Also reading.
Didn't know you did woodworking. I love it- built a walnut bedside table with maple breadboarding this summer. I want to make a farm table but holding off for now. I've got a few other things to build first

Otherwise a lot of board games and beer brewing.

Reactions: 1 user
Work out, watch tv/netflix, hang out with the fam, sleep. Every now and then get crazy and go to a game, concert, wine tasting or brewery, maybe take a 3-4 day road trip somewhere. Life has gotten considerably more chill since becoming licensed. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: 2 users

Also reading.

Make me a nice custom gaming table and I'll brew you beer for a couple years :)

But, board games, brewing, volleyball, softball, building brewing equipment, camping, hiking, reading, fishing, travel, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Make me a nice custom gaming table and I'll brew you beer for a couple years :)

But, board games, brewing, volleyball, softball, building brewing equipment, camping, hiking, reading, fishing, travel, etc.
This is exactly why I'm building a giant table.

What board games are you stuck on? I've been playing a ton of Gloomhaven for the better part of the last year. KDM. Then filled in with a little of anything - Scythe, Betrayal at the House on the hill, legendary, etc.

This is exactly why I'm building a giant table.

What board games are you stuck on? I've been playing a ton of Gloomhaven for the better part of the last year. KDM. Then filled in with a little of anything - Scythe, Betrayal at the House on the hill, legendary, etc.

Shifts depending on our play group. Currently, Scythe, Twilight Struggle, Suburbia, KingDomino. Trying to get a group together for Risk Legacy, and waiting for Betrayal at House on the Hill to get out.

Lots of golf, hanging with the family/pups, and playing guitar. Recently started to build guitar amps out of old police radios and tv parts. It's been a lot of fun.

Yes-PS4. I try to stay 6-12 months behind the curve though, so I can pay 20 bucks instead of 60. I like RPGs, with the occasional action/adventure/shooter thrown in. Relatively newish- Finishing up Detroit: Becoming Human, and am digging it.

Yeah, I rarely buy games when they first come out. Last time I did that was for Fallout 4. I may have to try Detroit, have been hearing decent things.

Members don't see this ad :)
read for pleasure, work-out, dance lessons, volunteer

Buy a foreclosed house to live in/fix up and adopt a rescue dog...then you can wonder where all your free time went. :shrug::uhno:

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Yeah, I rarely buy games when they first come out. Last time I did that was for Fallout 4. I may have to try Detroit, have been hearing decent things.
I bought an Xbox when fallout 3 came out, and an Xbox one when Fallout 4 came out. I barely play video games though. One game lasts me like 4 months.

Bought a fixer-upper house and then had a baby in short order so it's pretty much cleaning up spit up and paint spills right now. As an aside- around the time you're due to have a baby is the WRONG time to start installing wood floors in your house, especially if you're the one doing the installing. Still trying to find that work/life balance tbh. But it's a hell of a lot better than it was during grad school/pre-licensure.

Redid two houses, which I highly recommend against. Running 1-2 times per week. Gym has been added because an older colleague has shown me the difficulties in maintaining muscle mass in old age. Eating out with friends. Season tickets to stuff, which I share with a physician friend. Try to read a "fun" book a week. Finance stuff, some with friends who are objectively much smarter than I. A ton of podcasts. Usually two vacations a year. Taking lessons/getting certifications in something towards a long term goal similar to a pilot's license.

Bought a fixer-upper house and then had a baby in short order so it's pretty much cleaning up spit up and paint spills right now. As an aside- around the time you're due to have a baby is the WRONG time to start installing wood floors in your house, especially if you're the one doing the installing. Still trying to find that work/life balance tbh. But it's a hell of a lot better than it was during grad school/pre-licensure.

We did three fixer uppers (including current digs) with 2 kids ages birth through ~10. I think they just though it was how everybody lived! My oldest child had lived in 6 different houses (3 owned, 3 rented) before finishing elementary school. Fortunately, my wife switched careers a few years ago and is now a real estate agent, so now she gets her fix helping others buy/sell houses.

Just finished installing a new kitchen last spring. I did the demo on the old floors (that s**ked) but hired someone to install the new hardwood ones. I love home-improvement- its a nice hobby and find that if i mess things up it doesn't cost much more to have someone come and do it right than if I hired them to begin with. Saved ~15-20K doing the kitchen install ourselves. Maybe it's the contrast with the type of work I do in my day job, but I like that home improvement/woodworking/crafty type work has a chaotic beginning (e.g., a pile of raw materials, a relative straightforward process, and a clear ending with visual feedback of a job well done.

Since we're sharing... I used to regularly do three out of the five modern pentathlon sports: running, fencing, and showjumping. Now I'm a grad student so I do reading, reading, and reading, with a side of stress insomnia.

Maybe it's the contrast with the type of work I do in my day job, but I like that home improvement/woodworking/crafty type work has a chaotic beginning (e.g., a pile of raw materials, a relative straightforward process, and a clear ending with visual feedback of a job well done.

I can definitely related to this. I taught myself basic cabinetry and piano repair. I restored multiple upright pianos during and after training. It was really rewarding to find old pianos with cool stories and bring some life back to them. I did 3 over 8 years, so not exactly high volume. :laugh:

I still have a long way to go to make furniture from scratch, but i’m hoping to eventually get there. Some of the custom gaming tables i’ve seen recently have blown my mind. I’m not a big table top gamer, but I love the idea of a multi-use table bc I prefer smaller living spaces.

Last edited:
Since we're sharing... I used to regularly do three out of the five modern pentathlon sports: running, fencing, and showjumping. Now I'm a grad student so I do reading, reading, and reading, with a side of stress insomnia.
Modern pentathalon is cool (and weird!). You'll have time again someday...

We did three fixer uppers (including current digs) with 2 kids ages birth through ~10. I think they just though it was how everybody lived! My oldest child had lived in 6 different houses (3 owned, 3 rented) before finishing elementary school. Fortunately, my wife switched careers a few years ago and is now a real estate agent, so now she gets her fix helping others buy/sell houses.

Just finished installing a new kitchen last spring. I did the demo on the old floors (that s**ked) but hired someone to install the new hardwood ones. I love home-improvement- its a nice hobby and find that if i mess things up it doesn't cost much more to have someone come and do it right than if I hired them to begin with. Saved ~15-20K doing the kitchen install ourselves. Maybe it's the contrast with the type of work I do in my day job, but I like that home improvement/woodworking/crafty type work has a chaotic beginning (e.g., a pile of raw materials, a relative straightforward process, and a clear ending with visual feedback of a job well done.
There is certainly a very nice satisfaction in having such a visual marker of progress and completion, I agree! Also like keeping that extra money in my pocket- prefer not to pay someone to do something I could do myself. So far floors have been the most annoying but also the most rewarding. Got any big projects upcoming? We're still working on the hardwood floors- took an unexpected break when we discovered some rot and started repairing a huge window and awning riiiight before hurricane Florence dropped 8 inches of rain and a lot of wind, so obviously we still need to work on our timing. Or at least pay more attention to the weather!

Yes-PS4. I try to stay 6-12 months behind the curve though, so I can pay 20 bucks instead of 60. I like RPGs, with the occasional action/adventure/shooter thrown in. Relatively newish- Finishing up Detroit: Becoming Human, and am digging it.
While I don't videogame - my fiance does and I highly recommend gamefly to save on money and space. I actually like to watch him play some of the more decent RPG's (in the background whilst I do other things) - the last of us was a solid story and there was some new dawn game that had a decent story line.

I'm trying to rediscover hobbies now that I'm in fellowship. Might take up EPPP studying or learn to play the piano at some point.

I'm debating getting a new gaming system just to play the new Red Dead Redemption. I hope they come out with another Elder Scrolls.

There's one in the works now, although I don't think it has a name yet other than "Elder Scrolls 6." Won't be out until after Fallout 76 and some other stuff.

There's one in the works now, although I don't think it has a name yet other than "Elder Scrolls 6." Won't be out until after Fallout 76 and some other stuff.

Yeah, this one is on the back, back burner. They need to finish Fallout 76 and the countless updates that game will require, and some "starfield" project or something. Honestly, 2020 would be a way too early hope. I wouldn't be surprised if ES VI didn't come out til 2022 or later.

Fallout, Skyrim type games, Dragon Age, Witcher. More open world and expansive games rather than linear story driven or FPS.
Have you done Horizon Zero Dawn yet? It’s in the same vein as those. Also-all the added story expansions for fallout 4, witcher, and Skyrim.

I just started another play through of Skyrim

Oh man....I’ve heard good things about all of those games. I feel like if/when I go down the Elder Scrolls rabbit hole it’ll suck me in. :laugh: Destiny 1 & Destiny 2 held my attention for awhile. Borderlands 1 & 2 are still my favorite Playstation 3 games.

I’m mostly a casual retro gamer, using a mix of ROMs and original systems (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc). My retro holy grail is an early PC-based Civilization (1st or 2nd release from Sid Mier), as the old PS2 version available to stream on PS+ is a sad sad substitute. I had a Dell laptop I kept for about a decade that had a janky ROM version of Civilization, but I have no idea what happened to it.

I’m setting up a stationary bike to start training for my next race, so I think there will be a lot of gaming + pedaling in my near future....

I'm not a Psychologist like you all, but did just recently finish with my MSW from USC. Registered with BBS and doing my thing. For "fun", every weekend I go through service dog training with my Labrador, Sadie, via a non-profit where I live. I also do some gaming, mostly PC. I "accidentally", renewed my WoW subscription, also waiting on new games like Fallout 76 and eventually, the next Elder Scrolls game.

I used to play WoW way back when (i.e., grad school). It got a little too intense, so I've pinged around since then. Now it's mostly ESO. And sometimes whatever game is on sale on Steam; that's how I ended up with Stardew Valley and Don't Starve.

I also enjoy reading (like everyone else here), but have been falling behind a bit on that recently.

I tried ESO when it first came out, played it for a cool 2-3 weeks before I got back to Dota2. Dota2 is my main "to burn time" game

I’m a fan of BioWare — particularly Dragon Age inquisition, but also the Mass Effect series (love moral dilemmas and romantic options with the quests), but I don’t want to spend the $$$ on an Xbox One just yet. Also enjoy couch co-op games to play with my spouse in wintertime but it’s usually limited to shoot-em-ups, sports, and some rare finds that have actual co-op campaigns like Diablo 3.

Outside of games (play off and on, but not much lately), I enjoy walks/hikes, biking, day trips, movies, binge-worthy shows, making music, going to an occasional show or concert, and going to a winery here and there when friends visit. Sometimes yard work can be cathartic, too!

I’ve joined a softball league, but...so far my team is casual and the other teams are out for blood.

I tried ESO when it first came out, played it for a cool 2-3 weeks before I got back to Dota2. Dota2 is my main "to burn time" game

Same, although I lasted for probably 3 months after release before switching to something else. Started back about a year ago; it's definitely improved since launch.

Also, another vote for the Dragon Age franchise. I need to find another hobby or two that is/are a bit more productive than gaming, though.

Same, although I lasted for probably 3 months after release before switching to something else. Started back about a year ago; it's definitely improved since launch.

Also, another vote for the Dragon Age franchise. I need to find another hobby or two that is/are a bit more productive than gaming, though.
I did ESO for about 4 months earlier this year. Got a bunch of stuff and leveled 5 characters up a bunch then got bored. I was never much into the MMO thing. The end game grind just doesn't do well for my patience/impulsivity. I definitely enjoyed it a great deal for a few months though.

I'm so glad I pulled out of gaming as much - It gives me so much more time to write :arghh::smack:

Any of those MMO games I typically last 1 character...maybe I start a second one...and that's it. They seem too repetitive....but they are way better than back in the day, where they were mostly about grinding.

Fallout, Skyrim type games, Dragon Age, Witcher. More open world and expansive games rather than linear story driven or FPS.

Wow, those are basically all the series I love so I'm not sure what to suggest, haha. I also play the linear story driven games and FPS as well.

I think you'd really like Dragon Quest 11 which just came out recently.