what does 'do mksap' mean? do mcq's, read mksap text, or both?

Started by 2007er
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2007er

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've heard people casually say that to pass the boards, 'do mksap'. what do they mean? do they mean read through the text and answer all the questions? or do they make just do the mcq's? there's about 1200 mcq's in mksap 14.
 
ew, don't do mksap. do med study. if you really insist on doing mksap, then do just the questions...they are harder than the actual boards. the intraining exam is also harder than the boards.
 
ew, don't do mksap. do med study. if you really insist on doing mksap, then do just the questions...they are harder than the actual boards. the intraining exam is also harder than the boards.

Agree with "do just the questions... they are harder than the actual boards." I however strongly recommend MKSAP questions. I did them (and reviewed the answers) multiple times. When I took the boards last year I swore it was like I had seen the questions before.

The questions are harder, but they are very representative of the content of the boards. In other words, if you know those questions (why right is right, and why the others are wrong), you should do fine. Reading MKSAP is fine to pass some time on a slow rotation, but the magic is in the questions.

I didn't do MedStudy on advice of others, so can't comment there. But anecdotally, all my friends that studied did MKSAP questions did better than those that didn't.