What Is A Troll Post????????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thread designed to cause trouble. ex. uproar amongst the users, vile/racist remarks, to piss people off, etc. one indication of a troll post is when a person starts a new name and immediately tries to start problems.
 
1st: Why is a trouble causing thread called a troll thread? I feel like a dumby asking but I am just no familiar with this lingo.

2nd: why is the harvard v. uop post a troll thread?

I asked ppl to please give opinions about uconn v. maryland, I might learn something new about the schools from all the ppl on sdn
 
1st: Why is a trouble causing thread called a troll thread? I feel like a dumby asking but I am just no familiar with this lingo.

one definition of trolling is fishing by trailing a baited line along behind a boat. in the case of SDN the "baited line" is the inflammatory statements, and they're "fishing" for posts by other people, the "fish".
 
1st: Why is a trouble causing thread called a troll thread? I feel like a dumby asking but I am just no familiar with this lingo.

2nd: why is the harvard v. uop post a troll thread?

I asked ppl to please give opinions about uconn v. maryland, I might learn something new about the schools from all the ppl on sdn

A troll post is to stir up controversial topics that a "troller" knows he/she will start a flame war. Example: " I heard that dentists are doctors wanna be but can't get in med school right?" SDN has moderators that will put a hose over this really quick (count me in too). As for me, I must admit that I didn't know what a troll is until I joined the forum! 😱 DP
 
There's an entire subculture of message board lingo out there. You don't see it too much here, though.

n00b 😀