What % of applicants are considered “competitive”

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rainbowsunshine

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Excluding for the unicorn applicants, how many applicants to any given school are truly competitive based on MCAT/GPA? I would assume this means around median and above for both.
 
Not school-specific, but if you want to see what GPA/MCAT combinations are competitive overall, the LizzyM Score Calculator lets you see what percentage of matriculants fall into different ranges based on the AAMC data:
 
Read the similar threads (below this thread... on my browser). You can find...

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At any given school, I'd guestimate that at least 67% of applicants are strong enough to be interviewed and at least 90% of those interviewed are strong enough to be admitted. The pity is that we have room for only a fraction of them.
Does "strong enough to be admitted" simply mean "will probably be able to do the work and graduate on time"? The bar for that, as I understand it, is a lot lower than you might expect...something like 3.3 GPA and 502 MCAT. Not too sure about that, but I can definitely believe that lots of qualified applicants get rejected.
 
The "strong enough to be interviewed" varies by school and is likely to be not less than 2 points below of the school's average GPA and MCAT combined as in the LizzyM score. Along with that, in judging who would be "strong enough to interview", I'd be looking for having all the usual boxes checked (community service, clinical exposure, research, etc).