What to take

Started by vaioman08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vaioman08

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only have room to fit in 3 more classes before I graduate.
Out of

Biochemistry
Microbiology
Immunology
Analytical chemistry
Genetics
Animal Physiology

which three should I take that would benefit me the most as a prepharm undergrad?
 
I only have room to fit in 3 more classes before I graduate.
Out of

Biochemistry
Microbiology
Immunology
Analytical chemistry
Genetics
Animal Physiology

which three should I take that would benefit me the most as a prepharm undergrad?


Microbio, Biochem and Animal Physio are actually required courses for a lot of schools, at least here in CA. I'd take those, so you could apply to more schools.
 
I only have room to fit in 3 more classes before I graduate.
Out of

Biochemistry
Microbiology
Immunology
Analytical chemistry
Genetics
Animal Physiology

which three should I take that would benefit me the most as a prepharm undergrad?

You should take micro and biochem for sure as the above post said, not sure about the third course tho
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If none of those are required for the school you are going to apply to. Then i would take Micro, Biochem, and Immunology. I think those would benefit you the most in pharmacy school. But, check the pre reqs. Most require Micro, some require biochem, and i've heard of a few requiring Immunology.
 
Micro, Biochem and Animal Phys... I think micro is required for a lot of schools and biochem and physiology will give you a head start in pharm school.
 
I would pick biochem, micro, immunology. If you are interested in going into research, analytical is a good class.
 
I'd avoid analytical like the plague!! 😱:laugh:

I can say that I am glad I took it now that it is over. But yeah...it wasn't easy. It was really helpful though because we did a lot of acid/base and solubility chemistry as well as learning about a variety of different analytical techniques (HPLC, GC, mass spec, etc.) We also used a lot of statistics to analyze our lab results, as opposed to just doing problems from a book. This class taught me to use Excell very well.

Anyway, it probably is not directly relevant to pharmacy practice, but there are many things that I was able to take away from it. Really though, if you are not planning on working in a research lab, you probably don't need it.
 
Analytical chem is terrible. 2 semesters of it!!!👎

I would agree with the biochem, micro, and immunology.

Although genetics is very interesting IMO.
 
Biochem, Immunology, and animal phys. I haven't found micro to really be helpful, but animal phys was EXTREMELY helpful for physiology. What schools will you be applying to?