What were your hardest interview questions? How did you do?

Warder

2+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2018
Two of my favorites:

MMI Prompts:

"The US automotive bailout involved the US government providing 17.4 billion dollars to US car manufacturers Chrysler and General Motors during the 2008 recession. Discuss." (the question actually incorrectly said Ford as well, who did not take the bailout, I'm not sure if that was an honest mistake or if we were supposed to correct it)

Ford received a 5.9 billion USD TALF loan from the government to retool their factories, which was considered part of the automotive bailout. Because it was separate from the GM/Chrysler bailout, many people incorrectly state that Ford did not receive a bailout when they did (it just wasn't explicitly a bailout).

The weakness question is always tough because it's ubiquitous and so easy to paint yourself into a corner.

I always make sure to answer that question in the style that I'm already working on and continuing to build skills. For example, I talk about my organization and how I use Google calendar and checklists in order to keep myself accountable. I then talk about how I've gotten better since using those tools.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Yup, it's always something you have actively been working on improving and hopefully have already shown some progress on.

Angus Avagadro

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2018
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I save the open ended question for the end of the interview. This is my favorite part of the interview. There aren't right or wrong answers. We just want to see how you think. Can you chose a response and logically defend it? Say I were to ask "Should we drug test Moms on welfare?"If you say no, but can't explain why, I am going to say what about the Mom using the money for drugs and not food for the kids. I guess you are in favor of starving children.If you say no, then you might quote research indicating its not necessary as the rate of positive drug tests is low. If you say yes, prepare to defend the cost and why it's necessary. Take a position and defend it. I will press you if you can or can't. I do this in a friendly and lighthearted way so as not to traumatize the student. The notes I receive from students after the interview almost universally comment on how they enjoyed this part of our encounter. Btw, not all faculty ask open ended questions in a friendly and fun way. YMMV.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
Ford received a 5.9 billion USD TALF loan from the government to retool their factories, which was considered part of the automotive bailout. Because it was separate from the GM/Chrysler bailout, many people incorrectly state that Ford did not receive a bailout when they did (it just wasn't explicitly a bailout).

I was under the impression the difference was in "bailout" vs "loan", no? That's the way it was explained to me at least, that the other 2 were receiving funds they were never going to pay back while Ford was taking a loan. I could be wrong on this, that's just how I was told it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads