When do you need paralysis?

Started by FiO2@21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FiO2@21

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had a femoral nailing on an 11 year old the other week. Dropped an LMA in. I usually ask the surgeon if that's fine, but got used to that being fine for most of the orthopedic surgeons I worked with in the past.

Halfway through the case, he asks me if the patient is "relaxed". He obviously wasn't, so I had to choose between paralyzing with an LMA or intubating mid case. Wasn't fun.

Are there factors such as anatomic, patient-related, time-since-fracture, etc that require paralysis from a surgical standpoint for these cases? I've had this come up with knee manipulations, closed reductions across different age and size patients.

I always ask to avoid awkward moments intraop, but it would be helpful for me to know when/why. Not trying to sandbag the surgeon, that ultimately keeps me in the room longer than I want to be.

Are you just looking for guaranteed immobility?