When NOT to do an away?

Started by 5150
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

5150

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm planning out my 4th year schedule, and I've heard that there's a specific month in which it's not optimal to do an away elective because many of the attendings will be away at a large Oto conference. Can anyone shed some light on this? Much appreciated!
 
The 2008 AAO-HNS Annual Meeting is Sep 21-24, 2008 in Chicago. Most attendings will attend this +/- the meetings for subspecialties that often are around this event. Not a good time to be on rotation as a Sub-I, in my opinion.

As far as the benefits of a Sub-I away rotation, search some of the past forums - many of us (myself included) feel that if you a strong candidate a Sub-I can hurt your chances of matching.