When should I take the PCAT?

Started by luvu76
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luvu76

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Friends,

I recently decided to go for pharmacy school after completing my bachelors. Currently, I am a junior in the field of "health studies". After this semester, I would be down 91 credits out of 122. I have not yet taken majority of the pre-pharmacy classes with the exception of "chem1, phy1, mat-pre algebra, and other non-science classes. I still need to take around 36-40 science credit hours of classes. I am planning to take the pcat in the coming 2011 july session. What would you all advice me to do? should I take the pcats in july and complete my bachelors and pre-pharm courses by the end of 2011 and apply to pharmacy schools in 2012 fall? or should I take it easy and complete my bachelors and pre-phar courses in no hurry and apply to pharmacy school in fall 2013? I am also thinking about volunteering at a local pharmacy or hospital. Would you throw some light at the volunteering part as well? Any guidance/help would be highly appreciable 🙂

God bless you all
 
i see that you're missing gen bio, orgo chem, and gen chem 2. those three are super important for the PCAT and a good background in those will help. i say take your time with the classes and then take the PCAT, you might change your mind after you take the classes and decide to pursue another health career
 
I would also use the time to do a variety of working/volunteering/internship in different areas of pharmacy or research. A pharmacist recommendation is usually required so that would also help in that area. I believe pharmacy schools like to see that you've experienced different areas of pharmacy as well. Work on your extracurricular activities as in clubs etc. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're already close to getting your bachelors, I would advise doing so. With a bachelors, you don't need a PCAT score as far as I know.