Which Postbac to choose??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

auroraborealis

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I need some advice regarding choice of postbac programs.. I appreciate any help 🙂 Thanks in advance!

First of all, I'm an international student - I'm finishing my bachelor in life sciences at University of Toronto. My program is a specialist in genetics with an honor research thesis - I'm doing that in an oncology lab. I will be graduating in June, 2010.

I applied to a bunch of medical schools this past summer but haven't heard back from most and got rejected by several already so far. I'm planning to do a postbac before re-applying if nothing works out this time around.

My undergrad GPA so far is 3.65, of which the science component is 3.73 - this is the records from my freshmen to junior year. I anticipate my senior year GPA to be around 3.6-3.7 and the science component to be ~3.8-3.85. My previous two sets of MCATs were:
1. VR 6, BS 11, PS 14 +Q
2. VR 9, BS 12, PS 13 +Q

I did volunteering in the hospital (~2 years), did summer research (3 summers) and some fundraising activities.

I'm aiming for some of the top-ranked schools so I want to do a postbac that can enhance my credentials for admission. I'm currently looking at ones at the Harvard Extension School, Cornell and U Washington.

Any advice on those programs or any others that might be suitable for my situation? I can only consider those that accept non-US residents tho..

Thank you so much!