who taps possible septic joints in ure er? you or ortho?

Started by Painter1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Painter1

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
as a resident, ortho would get consulted for possible septic joints and they would perform the tap. on occasion, for our own learning as residents, we would tap a knee here and there.

as an attending at an er without er residents, i call ortho and usually a p.a. comes and taps the joint.

what's your practice?

would you tap a wrist, ankle? is there a standard of care as to who should tap the joint?

i had a case of a possible septic wrist, and unfortunately plastics was covering hand and the plastics fellow would not want to come in and and wanted me to tap the wrist. what would u guys have done?
 
Same as Arcan, but I'll do wrists and ankles. Never tapped a toe and don't really want to. I'm at an academic center and usually try to let my residents do as many procedures as possible (as long as I know how to do them).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the same practice as Hawkeye kid, with the caveats that if there's hardware involved I let ortho tap, and I don't tap hips.
 
I do them other than hips. I've done a couple first MTP but the return is so tiny and it is hard enough to do that I probably won't do it again.