Why 20cc/kg?

Started by spoonfats
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spoonfats

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been asked the question by an attending; why in peds do we always start with 20cc/kg of IV fluid for a bolus? I think he is looking for some specific reason, but I can't figure it other than that you're replacing 2% dehydration, which is a good small amount to start with. Anybody know why specifically we use 20? Thanks!

😕
 
Actually, after just taking PALS early this month, it appears they are kind of getting away from this in certain situations. I think most people will start advocating smaller boluses (i.e. 5-10 cc/kg) at a time and see the response. Especially if you are concerned about some sort of cardiogenic shock.

But as to the number 20 cc/kg who knows. Hey, why do we treat most things for 5, 7, 10, or 14 days with antibiotics? How come nobody ever says 6 or 8? Probably because these numbers are entrenched. 5 - standard work week. 7 - one week. 10 - nice round nubmer. 14 - 2 weeks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EMIMG said:
Hey, why do we treat most things for 5, 7, 10, or 14 days with antibiotics? How come nobody ever says 6 or 8? Probably because these numbers are entrenched. 5 - standard work week. 7 - one week. 10 - nice round nubmer. 14 - 2 weeks.


I thought antibiotic days were based on possible Football scores and their multiples:

3 days = field goal
7 days = TD w/ PAT
10 days ... well you get the point.