This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mona nucleosis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
because la belle province is not on that list...

Ahhh Alberta... still billing $700+ per cataract...

In short Canada isn’t the most friendly nation toward non-Canadian trained ophthalmologists (and really any medical specialty except maybe family medicine and psychiatry). It’s a small club and most would prefer to hire a Canadian grad. Generally we tend to bill quite well (#1 of all medical specialties). The last survey published by the CMA showed an average billing of about $700k for all ophthalmologists, including the part-timers. This is just OHIP billings so if you’re doing anything else outside it would be even more (e.g. cosmetic blephs, lasik, even punctual plugs).

We do tend to have more overhead though as a group so all things considered we’re probably around #2-3 for take-home income (after radiology and cardiology... which are also in the governments’ crosshairs for fee cuts).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think most U.S. citizens in general don't want to move Canada. I'm sure the story would be different if Canada was located in a California-type of climate :)

Wait... Canada accepts ACGME training??? For real?

1. Because it is a pain in the butt to get board certification in Canada. They take joys in failing people especially from other countries.
2. Because OR time is EXTREMELY limited and often based on politics so unless you have the right connections it is difficult to wind up in desirable locations like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal. If you want to go to Regina, Saskatchewan or Edmonton (not knocking these cities) it's much easier.

Reactions: 1 user
I think most U.S. citizens in general don't want to move Canada. I'm sure the story would be different if Canada was located in a California-type of climate :)

#eyeroll

and I mean that in the nicest way possible :)

Canada makes it very difficult to impossible for American ophthalmologists to practice there but not vice versa. You may find it impossible to get licensed. Canada requires an additional year of ophthalmology residency (not fellowship), though there are tricky ways to meet this requirement. Canadian fees are low but they compensate by having few malpractice lawsuits and keeping out new ophthalmologists from the major cities. The existing ophthalmologists will prevent new ophthalmologists, including Americans, from operating. That sort of behavior is illegal in the US but not in Canada.

That is why the US cannot pay for office visits like in Canada. The US doesn't allow existing doctors to shut out any new doctor.

Also, the original poster's tax information is wrong. Read the news in Canada. Doctors are mad at Prime Minister Justin for raising taxes on professionals, like doctors. Also be prepared to pay $4-5/gallon of gas and $6/gallon of milk, not 2.99-3.50/gallon and $1.79-2.50/gallon like in the US.

The Royal College exams are required and are difficult but every Canadian passes, unlike in the American boards. However, Americans taking the Royal College will find it very difficult to pass because Canadians have old questions saved up (unlike Americans, who generally do not cheat and save up ABO questions). Without old Canadian questions, it is difficult to impossible to pass. This is not a secret but well known to even the Royal College.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve looked into this, believe me. Unfortunately it’s not so easy for the reasons given above.

But I wish more Americans knew how much more Canadian ophthalmologists make when they say that healthcare in the US is so high because of physician salaries.

I think the biggest hurdle is the training requirement as someone mentioned, residency is 1 year longer in Canada. You need an extra year of ACGME accredited training. There are no ACGME ophtho fellowships except for oculoplastics.

In Ontario, there is an alternative pathway where you practice supervised for a year, then are eligible to take the boards. For someone out of fellowship for a while, it is difficult to imagine needing to be supervised again.