Why is writing so hard?

Started by EnemyP450
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EnemyP450

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The best score is a 5/5 right? So far, almost everyone that has posted their writing scores has scored in the 2.5-3.5 range. The average is also only a 2.7/2.8 right? Why is it so difficult to get into the 4-5 range? Just wondering if anyone here has cracked a 4+.
 
it's bull***t. the "logical argument/problem solving" section score i can understand, but people for whom english is a second language get the same 3 score in the "conventions of language" part as grammar/spelling nazis who i know don't make mistakes in those areas and have 99 scores on the verbal section. it's really inconceivable....

i don't think the schools factor it in too much, unless you get a 2 or below, or a 5
 
I got a 4.0 for both sections. I've had almost every English teacher tell me I should be a writer in high school. Too bad I hate writing with a passion! More pills for me, thanks.

I don't know if there are any secrets to writing better for this section. By the time I got to college, I had my whole method down. I'm really good at writing essays on the fly, since in high school I wrote all of my papers the night before they were due (including my senior thesis, notecards and all.) This is probably the only time procrastination has actually been fruitful in my life.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A 5 is a perfect score for a perfectly written essay, and a 0 means you perfectly screwed up. Where would you think most people would score?? Like gator said... It doesnt factor into your composite score. If you can understand the question they are asking and give an appropriate response then you should be fine.
 
It's not factored into the composite score so why stress it?

for real?! is it not factored into the composite score? again, for real?
So, why is it there?
and 1 more question, only the composite score will be sent to your schools? or both (the writing score and composite)?

Thanks.
 
Dont fret over it. I am a graduate student that came back to Pharmacy. I scored a 5 and a 5.5 (out of 6) on my GREs in the writing portion and only received the common 3 out of 5 on the PCAT. I honestly think the people grading the writing submissions hardly look at them.

And yes, I was accepted to Pharm school and they never mentioned my writing scores.