This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrapperCrops

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I heard that if I don't apply within that first few weeks, it will be harder for me to get in.

Applying in July is still fine. The general rule is that the later you submit (or whenever your files are all received), more difficult it will be. It is, after all, a rolling process.

1- Will taking the DAT this year, then holding it until next June to apply for dental school decrease any of my chances? For instance, the schools will see that I took the DAT a year prior and ask themselves "why did they wait 1 year?"

Absolutely not. You have a 3 year period with your DAT score. Admissions will not care as long as it is within the time period.

2- I started at a 4 year university, but took all of my Math courses (College algebra -> Calculus 1) at a community college as transient. This ONLY applies to math. All my sciences up to Biochemistry I aced at my 4 year university. I'm not planning on applying to any dental schools that are against any community college credits. I'm really good at the QR section. Will doing really well in the QR section kind of "nullify" this black spot on my record?

First, math courses are considered science courses. However, you will not have an issue in your application with this concern. I don't think it's even a "black spot" in your record (maybe if it was a core science course, but it is not).

If you think you'd have a better chance by taking a gap year, do it. I don't really know much about you to solidly say what to do. Plan to apply once and get in the first time. You really don't want to go through the application process again. Of the reasons you've listed above, the only one that really matters is the time needed for your letters. Assuming that you have everything already, your GPA above average, can get all the letters in time, and your DAT turns out good (20+) when you take it in June or July, I would say just apply and you will be fine.

I took a gap year applied the first day the cycle opened in 2017 and didn't get any acceptances. Spent my time retaking the DAT and applied in August this cycle and am sitting on a couple of acceptances.

Taking a few math classes at a CC should hardly make a difference I spent my first two years at a community college before transferring to a university.

1) Take the DAT in June and apply this cycle.
2) How do you know you're good at the QR section if you haven't taken the exam? You won't know or can't say that until you take the actual exam. I took my Math and Gen Chem at CC and no one school ever said anything.