Technology Wireless Adapter Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

harrypotter

Full Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Am a newbie and looking for a wireless adapter. Couldn't find a site where it broke down the info into understandable pieces so posting here.

I zoomed through netgear's website and saw that there are 2 kinds of wireless adapters: USB and the kind you have to install in your computer.

Is there much of a difference between the 2? Is the one you install in your computer better than the USB one?

Would it make any difference if my USB's are 1.0 and not 2.0?

I have at&t for my internet services and they recommend http://www.sbcdslstore.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.asp?ProductId=WG111US&CategoryId=catNIC (Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter Kit). Will there be any difference in speed if I go with 108 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter instead?

Also, are there compatibility issues between which adapter I ultimately choose and the router that at&t gave me?

I'm sorry for all these questions, if there is a site that is for a beginner please let me know!

Thanks in advance!!

Here's the list at&t gave me but there are so many to choose from I don't know which to go with:http://www.sbcdslstore.com/Catalog/ProductCategories.asp?CategoryId=catNIC&refDomain=www02