Would BIDMC be a solid option for private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebulousdinosaur

Reaction score
Hey everyone, rising M4 here deciding whether or not to take a research year (come from a top med school with very high step but no publications). I am 100% interested in private practice with 0 interest in academics. Due to personal reasons Boston is highly prefered for me. With that said, I understand without publications I have a minimal chance of matching MGH or BWH (mentor agrees), but have a decent shot at matching BIDMC given my step and school name/strong recs. I thought it was a pretty strong program that trained fast readers but I've seen some threads here and on the applicant discord basically saying you need a top radiology program to get good private practice jobs. Would matching into BIDMC close any doors for private practice? Is it worth it to take a research year to try and get MGH or BWH?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PP ties are largely regional. BIDMC will be fine for most places in the Boston area, and you probably could land a fellowship at BWH/MGH to double down if needed.

It won't have the same level of pull for groups outside the northeast compared to the other two, but it's hardly an unknown program.

A large number of PP practices are just happy to have a warm body right now. Assuming you can make the connection to your desired group, I don't see prestige of BIDMC holding you back from anything PP-wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, rising M4 here deciding whether or not to take a research year (come from a top med school with very high step but no publications). I am 100% interested in private practice with 0 interest in academics. Due to personal reasons Boston is highly prefered for me. With that said, I understand without publications I have a minimal chance of matching MGH or BWH (mentor agrees), but have a decent shot at matching BIDMC given my step and school name/strong recs. I thought it was a pretty strong program that trained fast readers but I've seen some threads here and on the applicant discord basically saying you need a top radiology program to get good private practice jobs. Would matching into BIDMC close any doors for private practice? Is it worth it to take a research year to try and get MGH or BWH?
You have plenty of choices to land around Boston and be employable. BMC, Tufts, Mt Auburn, and still within an hour of Mass General Brigham without traffic: UMass, St. Vincent's, Brown

Right now the job market is such that you stand a reasonable chance of success cold calling a specific private practice across the country with no ties whatsoever that isn’t actively recruiting.

Most everywhere offers good general ED / inpatient rad training (CT head to toe, plain films head to toe, adult ultrasound). So long as you get this at high volume, which most places provide, go where you want to live.

I thought it was a pretty strong program that trained fast readers but I've seen some threads here and on the applicant discord basically saying you need a top radiology program to get good private practice jobs.

I have not seen this sentiment for quite a while. Were you looking at old threads?

Reactions: 1 user
I have not seen this sentiment for quite a while. Were you looking at old threads?
Applicant discord = clueless medical students claiming to know how private practice groups recruit physicians

Reactions: 1 user
Applicant discord = clueless medical students claiming to know how private practice groups recruit physicians

I think "good private practice group" is different than "good specific private practice group" for purposes of recruiting