x-ray...too much = harmful?

Started by UW09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UW09

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if getting like 5 x-rays on each side in one day is harmful in any way.
 
If we're talking dental radiographs on D or E speed film, then no. That equals a few days of background radiation exposure, the kind you get from just walking around outside.
 
UW09 said:
I was wondering if getting like 5 x-rays on each side in one day is harmful in any way.
I hope not. Any new patient who sits down to see me can pretty much count on getting 10 on each side. 😛 I'm starting to like FMX films a lot more now that I can delegate them to a hygiene student while I see a second patient.

But drhobie is right. Dental radiography deals with pretty tiny radiation exposures, no more than you'd get from a few days of ordinary environmental exposure. Compare that to a head CT, for example, which gives you nearly a whole year's worth of environmental exposure just for a single study.