Anesthesiology 2025 match application signaling advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubsandgas123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some honest advice about signaling/how competitive I will be since I understand anesthesiology is quickly becoming more competitive with each cycle.

From low to mid-tier US MD school in the Midwest
6-7 publications/10 poster presentations (3 at ASA)/2 paid summer research internships (including FAER MSARF)
5/6 H with 1 HP on cores, H on anesthesia and peds anesthesia rotations
Step 1 pass (P/F) and my shelf average was 84.5 I think
3-4 volunteering experiences and strong LORs + GHHS
top 25% and applying to AOA
maybe will do away rotations after ERAS submission to show to put a face on my app

have not taken step 2 yet but just needed advice on how many signals I should give to reach/top tier programs vs mid-tier and regional programs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this true that anesteisia after signal implementation, you only get interviews from signal schools, (only if you did pick right ones). You dont get much oitside of signal schools. Also does it make sense to use signal wisely not using them for home or away programs. Use signals on other program outside of it?

Is this true that anesteisia after signal implementation, you only get interviews from signal schools, (only if you did pick right ones). You dont get much oitside of signal schools. Also does it make sense to use signal wisely not using them for home or away programs. Use signals on other program outside of it?
With anesthesia now having 15 signals total I think it’s becoming more and more “signal to interview” and even then no one is guaranteed an interview after signaling now😢

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you use your signal for your aways or save them for other target programs? Meaning will away give interview irrespective of using signal?

Just looking for some honest advice about signaling/how competitive I will be since I understand anesthesiology is quickly becoming more competitive with each cycle.

From low to mid-tier US MD school in the Midwest
6-7 publications/10 poster presentations (3 at ASA)/2 paid summer research internships (including FAER MSARF)
5/6 H with 1 HP on cores, H on anesthesia and peds anesthesia rotations
Step 1 pass (P/F) and my shelf average was 84.5 I think
3-4 volunteering experiences and strong LORs + GHHS
top 25% and applying to AOA
maybe will do away rotations after ERAS submission to show my face and meet the department

have not taken step 2 yet but just needed advice on how many signals I should give to reach/top tier programs vs mid-tier and regional programs
Your average shelf scores indicate you likely will be between 260 to 270 on S2 if you put in the time. AOA and GHHS are like icing on a bunt cake. You will be competitive for a high tier program if you keep up the good work. I applied with less pubs than you and matched a very competitive specialty. If you hit around 265 S2, you will be lit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Will you use your signal for your aways or save them for other target programs? Meaning will away give interview irrespective of using signal?
Since my aways are after Eras submission I’ll def gold signal any aways since I’m only doing them at places I actually wanna be at

Your average shelf scores indicate you likely will be between 260 to 270 on S2 if you put in the time. AOA and GHHS are like icing on a bunt cake. You will be competitive for a high tier program if you keep up the good work. I applied with less pubs than you and matched a very competive specialty. If you hit around 265 S2, you will be lit.
This is reassuring thank you. Currently in my study month studying for just that reason. Our AOA is a huge popularity contest with students voting all in a room+open discussion so I’m not expecting much since it’s always been rigged at our school historically rip

Last edited:
All,

The advice I am giving to applicants is that they should generally assume that without a signal, programs are unlikely to review your application outside of special circumstances. Most commonly those would include you being a student at the home institution, or someone with with a personal connection to a program is making a specific referral on your behalf.

As the specialty has gotten more competitive, programs are able to fill their residency positions (and interview slots) with quality applicants from their signal groups. The more competitive/popular residency programs are able to do so out of their gold signal group.

The decision on who to use your signals on should be largely based on the relative strength of your overall application. Most programs no longer have to choose between a less competitive application from someone with a high level of interest, or a strongly competitive application from someone with an unknown level of interest. There are enough competitive applications from interested applicants to go around for everyone. Do not think that a gold signal will help you get into a program you are not already competitive for.

Now that we are in the 3rd year of signaling, both programs and applicants are starting to figure out how best to navigate this new landscape. If you have any questions, make sure you talk to people at your home programs. If you have a question about how a specific program is going to handle their signals, it is totally okay for you to contact them to ask. The advice we are able to give now is miles and away better than we were able to give 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user