WAMC - trad MI Resident w/ strong ties to OH, ORM White, First Gen Low SES, (3.3/510)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ValidSnapshot

Reaction score
1. cGPA - ~3.3
sGPA - 3.00-3.10 (22c Postbacc 3.3 GPA)

2. MCAT - 502 -> 126/128/123/125
MCAT scheduled for 06/14 -> Practice scores hovering around 510 range.

3. MI resident

4. White Male

5. Small, Private Catholic University

6. Clinical Experience
1000 hrs - Volunteer Nursing Home
100 hrs - volunteer at hospital (HELP program)
1200 hrs - Patient Transport (Paid)

7. Research Experience - ~100h poster presentation

8. Shadowing -> 12h EM, 12h IM, 8h ENT, 20h PCP(DO) -> 52h Total

9. Nonclinical Volunteer -> 100h - Organized charity+service events and then worked them for my fraternity, events raised over $1,500 for local charity

10. Other Leadership
-IT Service Desk Department Lead -> 2000h, lead team of 30 employees, wrote IT protocols for University, helped customers with complicated upper level IT issues and offered support to classroom technology
-Fraternity External Vice President -> 450h -> worked closely with president and I organized all social, service, philanthropic events for frat while also managing all external contacts, and all chair positions under me (8) and scheduling large events such as semiformal, formal, socials, etc. (amount raised above)
-Leadership award/Scholarship -> 200h -> required regularly taking leadership classes every semester and attending leadership conferences

11. Awards
Highest Honors in Foreign Language Minor (4.00 GPA)
Deans list for 2 semesters (don't know if this counts)

12. First gen, Low SES

Current School list:
(DO)
MSUCOM
BUCOM
AT Still
Chicago COM Midwest
DMUCOM
DUQCOM
KCU
EVCOM
LMU-DCOM
Marian
NYITCOM
OU-HCOM
Rowan-Virtua SOM
Pikeville COM
WVSOM
LECOM

(MD)
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland
Michigan State
Rush (thinking of adding bc I believe I have decent service exp.)
Wright State (Strong Ties)
NEOMED (strong ties)
Toledo (Strong Ties)

Is this school list reasonable? I do not have a lot of money so if you feel a school is an extreme reach, I will definitely remove it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Central Michigan is the only possible MD school with your current MCAT of 502. You could receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest these:
MSUCOM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
DUQCOM
NYIT-AR
BUCOM
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
OCOM
BCOM (both schools)
UIWSOM
TUNCOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
ICOM
Post your new MCAT score here when available.

Rush (thinking of adding bc I believe I have decent service exp.)
Do you have over 800 hours of service orientation experience? This is not obvious from your description.

Wright State (Strong Ties)
NEOMED (strong ties)
Toledo (Strong Ties)
Wright State and NEOMED usually takes mostly OH residents. If you grew up for most of your childhood in underserved Ohio communities, that would appeal to these programs. Furthermore, OUHCOM should be on your list if you have such strong ties with Ohio as a DO program. Your 502 and non-Ohio status will limit your chances at these schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have over 800 hours of service orientation experience? This is not obvious from your description.

Wright State and NEOMED usually takes mostly OH residents. If you grew up for most of your childhood in underserved Ohio communities, that would appeal to these programs. Furthermore, OUHCOM should be on your list if you have such strong ties with Ohio as a DO program. Your 502 and non-Ohio status will limit your chances at these schools.
I am not sure. I assumed that since I have around 1100 volunteer clinical hours that it could be a fit from talking to other premeds at my school.

Also, I should've said in my original post that I lived in Ohio for 12 years in a rural, underserved community that's why I included Ohio schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not sure. I assumed that since I have around 1100 volunteer clinical hours that it could be a fit from talking to other premeds at my school.
What were your responsibilities? Why did you classify them as clinical vs. non-clinical? What advice did you receive from your prehealth advisors?

Also, I should've said in my original post that I lived in Ohio for 12 years in a rural, underserved community that's why I included Ohio schools.
Did you graduate from a rural Ohio high school?

What were your responsibilities? Why did you classify them as clinical vs. non-clinical? What advice did you receive from your prehealth advisors?

Did you graduate from a rural Ohio high school?
Talking to patients, getting them warm blankets, taking them for walks, and feeding them were my responsibilities. I thought separating clinical vs nonclinical volunteering was standard, I guess total volunteering hours are around 1200. My advisors have not been very helpful.

I did not graduate from a rural Ohio high school, but I spent K-10 in rural Ohio and attended University there.

Additionally, my only research exp was about impacts of the opioid epidemic in my Ohio community, I've heard that you can get in-state preference if you have "strong ties" but i'm not sure what qualifies as strong ties. Would that history be enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users