M.A.S.T. Medic and EMT Murdered

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niko327

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Horrible news, please pray for the families of the victims. God Bless. Be safe everyone.

Posted on Sat, Apr. 03, 2004

Authorities: Emergency workers killed early Saturday in ambush

HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH

Associated Press

EDWARDSVILLE, Kan. - An emergency medical technician and a paramedic were killed early Saturday in an apparent ambush, authorities said.

Firefighters found the two medics dead at an Edwardsville fire station shortly after midnight, said Eric Dooley, a spokesman for Metropolitan Ambulance Service Trust, an ambulance service for the two-state Kansas City area.

He identified the victims as emergency medical technician Tye Brown, 33, and paramedic Catherine Malone, 30, both of suburban Shawnee. Their deaths marked the first time a MAST worker was killed in the line of duty.

"They were good hard working employees," Dooley said. "They appeared to enjoy what they did. It's really kind of hard to talk about this. We lost two members of our family last night tragically and unnecessarily."

Dooley said Saturday morning police have identified a suspect, who is not in custody. While Dooley said he could not release any additional details about how the medics died, he did confirm it was not a murder-suicide.

The pair of medics were the only staffers overnight at the fire station in Edwardsville, a community about 15 miles west of downtown Kansas City, Mo. Dooley said the pair had recently returned from a call when they were paged to respond to a new incident.

When they failed to respond, and dispatcher was unable to contact them by radio or telephone, firefighters were sent to the fire station, Dooley said.

"They went in and found both crew members murdered in the station," Dooley said. "They were both dead."

Dooley said both are single, although Brown has a young daughter. Brown's family is from Kansas City, Kan.; Malone's mother lives in Richmond, Ind., and was on her way to Kansas City Saturday morning. Malone was a seven-year MAST veteran; Brown had worked for the service for five years.

Police in Edwardsville and Kansas City, Kan., are conducting a joint investigation, Dooley said.

"Other than having an armed guard on every station all the time, there was nothing we could have done to prevent this," he said.

A Ford Taurus with personalized license plates that read "P MEDIC" was parked inside the fire station late Saturday morning. The station is located on the edge of the Kansas City area, near Kansas Speedway in southwestern Wyandotte County; behind the station, several head of cattle were grazing in a field.

"I'm shocked because this is just not that type of a neighborhood," said neighbor Edith Leihsing, who lives next to the station.

The flag at the station was lowered to half mast, and Edwardsville firefighter Ed Lynn said they were doing the same at the department's other stations.

"I think it's unreal," Lynn said. "Devastating for one, for the families for sure."

In February, MAST paramedic Mary Seymour was shot after arriving at the scene of a fire and explosion at two homes in south Kansas City, Mo. Shot twice in the chest, Seymour, 39, was released from the hospital a few days later and is expected to make a full recovery.

Members don't see this ad.

damn, can you say that MAST is jinxed??? first the shootout now this.... somebody has a grudge against MAST... :eek:

Our prayers go out to the family and coworkers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live about 10 miles from the murders!

I used to run mutual aid for MAST in edwardsville, KS all the time. I've probably run with the fire crew stationed at that station.

Fortunately, I don't personally know the crew, but it hits way too close to home.

horrible.

Originally posted by 12R34Y
I live about 10 miles from the murders!

I used to run mutual aid for MAST in edwardsville, KS all the time. I've probably run with the fire crew stationed at that station.

Fortunately, I don't personally know the crew, but it hits way too close to home.

horrible.

I don't think i knew either crew member, but yes, this hits too close to home. Especially since February when one of our other medics was shot here. I have so many friends with MAST, some that I ride with and it just makes you stop and realize that no one is immune to this sort of thing. Alot of times you think because you make your living saving lives that something like this will never happen, but it does and it gets kinda scary. Our prayers go out to the families and the whole EMS community.

Be safe guys.

May God be with the families...

My thoughts are with the victims and their families....

This is a sad situation, however, the fact that these people work in EMS is not related to the murders. The article does include the fact that both EMS workers were living together at the time, and an ex-spouse of one of the two was the perpetrator. So, although this is terrible, it was not an act of random violence.

Like that makes it any less terrible.

Doesn't matter why they were murdered.

Bottom line: supervisors, fire crew and fellow friends/medics had to respond to one of their own. that is the worst call of all. I just can't imagine seeing people i work with all shot up and not to mention while ON DUTY.

just wanted to make sure you weren't belittling it just because there were surrounding circumstances.

I'm just saying don't get paranoid, and think people are going around randomly killing EMS personnel.

It was an unrelated domestic violence incident.

Originally posted by OSUdoc08
I'm just saying don't get paranoid, and think people are going around randomly killing EMS personnel.

Actually I've seen it happen for narcs.