Do I need additional Clinical Experience outside of EMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RamblingPremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been volunteering as an EMT lead Clinician at a Free Clinic for roughly 3 years now. During my time there I have also had the opportunity to shadow PA's and 2 MD's. Do I need additional clinical activity outside of this to show that I am really interested in being a doctor and continuing to serve patients?

Members don't see this ad.

I love it. I think personally it's a wonderful opportunity to serve patents, have true pt care, learn, and learn how to work w/ people and the ever important customer service aspect to medicine. That is, if you're doing it to learn and grow and not solely to check boxes.

Personally, I think everyone applying to medical school should have some customer service, waitstaff, EMT, CNA, LPN behind them. It's wild how I've seen medical students get to this point and not know about homeless people, straight up. Or they go, man this is difficult and you're just like, "bruh. This is life?" The disconnect for some people is just wild.

Idk what an EMT lead clinical does but I would caution you about some people who may interview you that have large sticks up their rear ends and say, "yeah [EMS] is great but pretty cookie cutter" etc. I think you should be prepared if someone goes at you with this or follow-ups asking about your service, what you've learned, other things you've done, etc. just in case these people decide they're going to make your life miserable for the interview because they were hurt somewhere along the line (Maryland interviewers, among other places, loves doing this).

tl;dr: If you have learned and grown a lot, that meaningful experience should take you far. Just in case, be ready with taking care of their follow-ups in the worst case scenario that they don't particularly like or are going to test you with regards to EMS.