Question re: NBME Surgery Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotrumpet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals

I have a question.
Our school decided to institute a 100 question multiple choice format NBME exam for our Surgical 1st year clinical rotation.

What resources are the best for preparing for such an exam?

I've never taken any NBME exam so I wouldn't really know.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the time (which of course no one really ever has on their surgery rotation) Lawrence Principles of General Surgery is money. It is a basic clerkship level text that covers just about everything on the shelf really well. I had friends that liked NMS but it isn't really any faster than reading Lawrence. If you need a fast review High-yield surgery isn't bad, and neither is Blueprints.

hate textbooks and lawrence qualifies as one
nms too big
read surgical recall and Bards/wards surg section and did questions from A&L
that was manageable
hope you know medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Dose the NBME release past multiple choice questions for surgery?

Where can I get past MCQ questions for NBME Surgery?

thanks

Go with Lawrence. Do all the questions at the end of every chapter.

I read surgical recall cover to cover and did all of appleton & lange and managed to score in the mid 80s on the surgery shelf. of course, this was my last 3rd year rotation so i already knew medicine.

Well, it depends on how much time you have...

If you have a lot of time on your hands, use Lawrence.

If you only have a little, then use High-Yield.

However, I think Recall is pretty useless in any scenario.

However, I think Recall is pretty useless in any scenario.

I disagree... I think reading a text, especially Lawrence, is great and you should definitely do that. But Recall encapsulates important nuggets of information that are very commonly tested and pimped, and you should DEFINITELY read through it at least once as you study.

MadC

<i>Recall</i> is useful for the Wards---pimping, looking up information quickly, etc.

But its choppy, question-and-answer style do not make it very conducive to long reading sessions.

Hi there,
I used Mont Reid for all of my studying for the shelf exam. You can carry it in your pocket and it contains all sorts of useful stuff for doing procedures and the like. I read through it a couple of times and did very well on my surgery shelf. I couldn't stand to read Lawrence. I did look at the questions at the end of the chapters. I photocopied the answers and studied them but reading Lawrence is condusive to sleeping. Zzzzz...

njbmd:)

I did NMS and a little bit of Recall. NMS was pretty dense but tolerable. I also paged through a huge book of questions (i have blocked out that time in my life so I don't remember which one) which was not helpful. It was so much easier than the exam. my only advice is if you are not a fast test taker, stay aware of the time. I am a fast test taker and took almost the entire time. I know a few friends that had to mark random answers for the last 20-30 questions--not good. I also remember that the last few questions seemed to have the most answers. All in all, dont' freak out, I thought I failed it and I did pretty well.

Honestly, much of the Surgery NBME test was more like Emergency Medicine- patient is shot, stabbed, in a MVA, etc. and you need to stabilize the patient prior to the actual surgery. There really aren't that many questions pertaining to anatomy, surgical techniques, etc. It really is a modified Medicine over "surgical" topics. I would concentrate on surgically correctable HTN, stabilization of a acutely injured patient, the acute abdomen, and trauma.

Yes, the last 25 or so questions have >5 answer possiblities... I usually start with these to get them out of the way!!!

:D