Will CC grades be counted in my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so I went to community college for about two years, my GPA was 3.92. Now I transferred to a University, this is my second semester and my GPA is 3.4.... of course after starting from zero...
Anyone knows if my grades from the CC will be counted when applying to Dental schools?
And are there schools that really don't care that I went to CC, and I must apply to them?

Thank you for any kind of info.
Goooo Pre-dents :)

Members don't see this ad.

CC counts towards dental school application GPA.

There's the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools book available that will tell you which dental schools accept CC, which schools have a limit on CC credits, and which schools do not accept CC. Invest in this book.:thumbup:

okay, so I went to community college for about two years, my GPA was 3.92. Now I transferred to a University, this is my second semester and my GPA is 3.4.... of course after starting from zero...
Anyone knows if my grades from the CC will be counted when applying to Dental schools?
And are there schools that really don't care that I went to CC, and I must apply to them?

Thank you for any kind of info.
Goooo Pre-dents :)

Your GPA will be counted when you apply to DS, however, if I'm not mistaken AADSAS will separated your grades by institution. So, that means you'll have 2 cumulative GPA, one for CC and the other for the 4 year university. Then, you will also have another "final" cumulative GPA which sums up all of your undergraduate work, meaning CC + Uni in your case. So in essence, you will have 3 cumulative GPAs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not fair to count the CC grades in the AADSAS GPAs. We all know most CC courses are a complete joke and nowhere near the difficulty level of a real college. It's like saying you're an All-American basketball player (Center position) because you dominated in the Ivy League against guys who are 6'9" at best.

It's not fair to count the CC grades in the AADSAS GPAs. We all know most CC courses are a complete joke and nowhere near the difficulty level of a real college. It's like saying you're an All-American basketball player (Center position) because you dominated in the Ivy League against guys who are 6'9" at best.

What university/college did you attend?

Is it "fair" that your GPA has the same value as someone from Harvard or Princeton (unless you attended those schools)? We all know those schools require 2,350+ SAT scores, while the schools many of us attend do NOT require those scores.

There has to be some standard, even if it is not exactly 100% "fair" or "accurate"
I don't think it's fair for you to say that it is wrong for AADSAS to include CC grades. Grades are grades, and they worked hard for it. Some people have no choice but to do CC (for example, 2 years in CC then transfer to save money)

There are schools (like Tufts) who don't accept CC credits at all.

There are schools (like Tufts) who don't accept CC credits at all.

:thumbup:
Along with others. I recommend getting the ADEA official handbook and look at the schools you are interested to see if they accept CC credits.

CC counts towards dental school application GPA.

There's the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools book available that will tell you which dental schools accept CC, which schools have a limit on CC credits, and which schools do not accept CC. Invest in this book.:thumbup:

Thank you sooo much for the advice...

Well I'm sure they will not be looked at the same, and probably that's why they separate them. But for many students there is no other choice than CC---> financial issues.
the university I go to now is really hard, that's why my GPA is lower, but that doesn't mean I didn't work hard for my CC grades...

Is it "fair" that your GPA has the same value as someone from Harvard or Princeton (unless you attended those schools)? We all know those schools require 2,350+ SAT scores, while the schools many of us attend do NOT require those scores.

There has to be some standard, even if it is not exactly 100% "fair" or "accurate"
I don't think it's fair for you to say that it is wrong for AADSAS to include CC grades. Grades are grades, and they worked hard for it. Some people have no choice but to do CC (for example, 2 years in CC then transfer to save money)

FYI Mr. KnowItAll, I indeed attended an Ivy League school. It wasn't Harvard or Princeton, but it was one of the other six. So yes, it is fair for me to say my GPA has same value as another Ivy Leaguer. And hence, why I make such a statement against CC courses because I could get straight A's in those courses without much effort, meaning I didn't have to work hard for it.

In fact, here's a concrete example. I had a classmate who transferred into my school after a year at Cleveland State. He didn't study and partied all the time even on nights before exams and yet he achieved a perfect undeserving 4.0 at Cleveland State, a 4-yr college. He even stated that it was a complete joke. However, he had to bust his balls at my school and "hustle" the system (i.e. taking easier sections with easier teachers, taking ******ed gut courses to raise the GPA, taking as many hard courses pass/fail, etc.) and could only barely achieve a 3.1 as a history major. There you go, proof in the pudding!

Your GPA will be counted when you apply to DS, however, if I'm not mistaken AADSAS will separated your grades by institution. So, that means you'll have 2 cumulative GPA, one for CC and the other for the 4 year university. Then, you will also have another "final" cumulative GPA which sums up all of your undergraduate work, meaning CC + Uni in your case. So in essence, you will have 3 cumulative GPAs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though...

Okay, makes sense... but do you think the cumulative GPA matters more or less than individual GPAs?

FYI Mr. KnowItAll, I indeed attended an Ivy League school. It wasn't Harvard or Princeton, but it was one of the other six. So yes, it is fair for me to say my GPA has same value as another Ivy Leaguer. And hence, why I make such a statement against CC courses because I could get straight A's in those courses without much work, meaning I didn't have to work hard for it.

In fact, here's a concrete example. I had a classmate who transferred into my school after a year at Cleveland State. He didn't study and partied all the time even on nights before exams and yet he achieved a perfect undeserving 4.0 at Cleveland State, a 4-yr college. He even stated that it was a complete joke. However, he had to bust his balls at my school and "hustle" the system (i.e. taking easier sections with easier teachers, taking ******ed gut courses to raise the GPA, taking as many hard courses pass/fail, etc.) and could only barely achieve a 3.1 as a history major. There you go, proof in the pudding!

What about people who have high GPAs in both CC and university?

What about people who have high GPAs in both CC and university?

Hard work? Late-blooming geniuses? Financial reasons?

A friend of mine transferred from a CC to UCSD and achieved a 3.6+ GPA at UCSD. Now she's in Pharm school.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI Mr. KnowItAll, I indeed attended an Ivy League school. It wasn't Harvard or Princeton, but it was one of the other six. So yes, it is fair for me to say my GPA has same value as another Ivy Leaguer. And hence, why I make such a statement against CC courses because I could get straight A's in those courses without much effort, meaning I didn't have to work hard for it.

Someone really needs to get off their high-horse. When did I claim I was a "know it all"? I was just defending that, there needs to be one universal scale, which is GPA regardless of school, otherwise there would be 4,000+ different types of scales (for US schools only)

No, it is not fair to say your GPA has the same "value" as other Ivy Leagues schools because some schools have grade inflations, whiles others don't (or have less) That's why GPA is never equal, but is a universal indicator.

Also... what you provided me was not proof, simply an example that backed up your theory. I'm sure I can find someone out there that will back up the other theory, that is, CC is not easier than other school.
The point I'm trying to make is, GPA is the golden standard, and is the way the game is played. If you don't like it, then you should have gone to a CC school where it is "so easy" to get an A and stop complaining. If it's so "unfair" to complain to ADCOMS and see what they say.

Hard work? Late-blooming geniuses? Financial reasons?

A friend of mine transferred from a CC to UCSD and achieved a 3.6+ GPA at UCSD. Now she's in Pharm school.

This. :thumbup:

Some people really need to stop getting so defensive and seriously needs to get rid of that haughty attitude.

Someone really needs to get off their high-horse. When did I claim I was a "know it all"? I was just defending that, there needs to be one universal scale, which is GPA regardless of school, otherwise there would be 4,000+ different types of scales (for US schools only)

No, it is not fair to say your GPA has the same "value" as other Ivy Leagues schools because some schools have grade inflations, whiles others don't (or have less) That's why GPA is never equal, but is a universal indicator.

Also... what you provided me was not proof, simply an example that backed up your theory. I'm sure I can find someone out there that will back up the other theory, that is, CC is not easier than other school.
The point I'm trying to make is, GPA is the golden standard, and is the way the game is played. If you don't like it, then you should have gone to a CC school where it is "so easy" to get an A and stop complaining. If it's so "unfair" to complain to ADCOMS and see what they say.

GPA is not the golden standard and that's why there is something called the DAT, and hence why it's called a "standardized" exam. Based on your faulty statement, there would be no need for a DAT exam. Perhaps your pretty crappy DAT scores are the reason why you vehemently defend CC GPA. Your arguments are weak bro. Quit while you're behind lol.

I seriously doubt the difference in academic rigor b/t the Ivies and "lesser" schools is as great as the gap b/t CCs and 4-year institutions. But if someone would like to provide a first-hand account of the oppositte...
im all ears.

I seriously doubt the difference in academic rigor b/t the Ivies and "lesser" schools is as great as the gap b/t CCs and 4-year institutions. But if someone would like to provide a first-hand account of the oppositte...
im all ears.

Here's an example. My friend graduated from my school (Ivy) with a business major and 2.6 GPA. He did a post-bac at his 4-yr state school since he wanted to attend med school. He took about 50 credits and finished with 4.0. Even though he worked hard to achieve it, he flat out admitted that there was no way in hell he could've achieved 3.3, let alone 4.0, had he did the post-bac at our alma mater.

GPA is not the golden standard and that's why there is something called the DAT, and hence why it's called a "standardized" exam. Based on your faulty statement, there would be no need for a DAT exam. Perhaps your pretty crappy DAT scores are the reason why you vehemently defend CC GPA. Your arguments are weak bro. Quit while you're behind lol.

I don't even know why I bother to come on SDN to try to help other people by giving them my opinion anymore.

It always ends up with people trying to brag about their "fantastic school and scores" on the internet... and not helping the OP or answering their question at all.

SDN use to be a great place where you can provide feedback, and share opinions wether they positive or negative. All we get now is "your stats suck, don't apply, I'm better than you"

Just, wow. It is upsetting to know that, while these people have better statistics than me, it is people with this kind of mindset and attitude that will be serving patients in the future. So close minded and pretentious

I think it makes sense to have a separate GPA that's from CC and 4-year university.

Nonetheless it should still count.

I think you started getting offensive....
Students who went to CC are transferring to the best universities, achieving well deserved GPAs, scoring high on the DAT and accepted to dental schools...... deal with it

it is people with this kind of mindset and attitude that will be serving patients in the future.

Perhaps it's better that these types become dentists. At least they'll learn their **** in school and be spot-on in their diagnosis and provide the best possible treatment to their patients instead of some B-/C+ student who will only learn 70% of what they should know and hope they can "get by" on their patients as they did in school. I think patients will prefer the former and not the latter.

Some schools won't accept any community college credit- tufts BU off the top of my head...just so you know gluck! I'd check into that but I know others dont care as much

Here's an example. My friend graduated from my school (Ivy) with a business major and 2.6 GPA. He did a post-bac at his 4-yr state school since he wanted to attend med school. He took about 50 credits and finished with 4.0. Even though he worked hard to achieve it, he flat out admitted that there was no way in hell he could've achieved 3.3, let alone 4.0, had he did the post-bac at our alma mater.

ok, but thats not an example that proves my point wrong.

To the OP: both count into the AADSAS GPA, but dental schools do look at individual GPAs from each school. Dental schools most likely count the 4-year GPA more heavily than the CC. You have a great track record at CC, but you need to continue getting As to win the adcom peps over

In my opinion, a CC will hurt you and look bad. I would not take any prereqs there (whether or not the d-school would accept them.) take everything at a 4 yr school if you can. Most schools still have a limit on the alloted credits from a CC school (meaning you cant take all your prereqs there, only a certain amount, see the ADEA book or go to the individual websites of the schools you are interested in.)

Perhaps it's better that these types become dentists. At least they'll learn their **** in school and be spot-on in their diagnosis and provide the best possible treatment to their patients instead of some B-/C+ student who will only learn 70% of what they should know and hope they can "get by" on their patients as they did in school. I think patients will prefer the former and not the latter.

That's just not true.... You obviously do not have a lot of experience in the health profession field.

First of all, a 3.3 is a B+, not a B- or C+. Secondly, attitude has a lot to do with how well you perform. Just because you are capable of doing it, but with a poor attitude you won't work to your maximum potential. Did you know in medical school residencies, patients treated by residents have more complications, but less of them are fatal compared to Drs? You would assume the Dr "A" student in your example, would do better than the "B-/C+" residents, however, the opposite is true. Less people actually die in the B-'s students hand. Reason? While Dr "A+ student" is "smarter" they think that and don't put 100% of their effort into every patient so they can go on to their next patient. Residents are "not as good of students" therefore have a more positive attitude and more time into their patients, even though they are "less qualified"

You see where I'm getting at? If I were a patient, I'd prefer a B- student and not die, than an A+ student and die.

A high GPA and DAT score will open the doors to dental admission no matter where you go to school. At the end of the day the kid who has some CC credits with a diploma from a lowly college & the Ivy league graduate will both be Dr. Dentist (one will just owe less money than the other). :)

That's just not true.... You obviously do not have a lot of experience in the health profession field.

First of all, a 3.3 is a B+, not a B- or C+. Secondly, attitude has a lot to do with how well you perform. Just because you are capable of doing it, but with a poor attitude you won't work to your maximum potential. Did you know in medical school residencies, patients treated by residents have more complications, but less of them are fatal compared to Drs? You would assume the Dr "A" student in your example, would do better than the "B-/C+" residents, however, the opposite is true. Less people actually die in the B-'s students hand. Reason? While Dr "A+ student" is "smarter" they think that and don't put 100% of their effort into every patient so they can go on to their next patient. Residents are "not as good of students" therefore have a more positive attitude and more time into their patients, even though they are "less qualified"

You see where I'm getting at? If I were a patient, I'd prefer a B- student and not die, than an A+ student and die.

no one is gonna die, drama queen

Again, trying to start a flame war.

i am responding to the post that grades are important, but no one is going to die so that point is not something you should put out there to scare or manipulate people.

A high GPA and DAT score will open the doors to dental admission no matter where you go to school. At the end of the day the kid who has some CC credits with a diploma from a lowly college & the Ivy league graduate will both be Dr. Dentist (one will just owe less money than the other). :)

I Really hope that... Good luck for all of us :)

GO pre-dents :xf:

I Really hope that... Good luck for all of us :)

GO pre-dents :xf:

not all schools accept CC credits and some cap out how many CC credits you can take. as long as you know this, you will be fine.

i am responding to the post that grades are important, but no one is going to die so that point is not something you should put out there to scare or manipulate people.

You don't think people can die from dental related illnesses/mistreatment?

Uhhhhhhh......

It is not COMMON but you only need one patient to die in your hands and then you'll know for the rest of your life that your mistreatment was one of the reasons that your patient died. Lympathic system, cardiovascular disease, and cancer to name a few, buddy... You can die from those. Not trying to scare you, but if YOU think that you are "king of the hill" and will never kill a patient, then you need to snap into reality and put YOUR nose down.

You don't think people can die from dental related illnesses/mistreatment?

Uhhhhhhh......

It is not COMMON but you only need one patient to die in your hands and then you'll know for the rest of your life that your mistreatment was one of the reasons that your patient died. Lympathic system, cardiovascular disease, and cancer to name a few, buddy... You can die from those. Not trying to scare you, but if YOU think that you are "king of the hill" and will never kill a patient, then you need to snap into reality and put YOUR nose down.

lol calm yourself there little buddy, no one is gonna die from a root canal unless you manage to have a tool fall down their pharynx haha another useless post by you. poor sap lol

Ummm, your analogy is, ummm, :laugh:

You remind me of a student doctor I met while visiting a school lol. The first, last and only thing that came to my mind was how the hell did this douche get accepted into this school. When I shared my thoughts with another student doctor, he said the same thing lol.

Ummm, your analogy is, ummm, :laugh:

You remind me of a student doctor I met while visiting a school lol. The first, last and only thing that came to my mind was how the hell did this douche get accepted into this school. When I shared my thoughts with another student doctor, he said the same thing lol.

He was phenomenal on paper! with awkward social skills! Maybe suffering from competitive environment surrounding him is too overwhelming? lol!

In my case, I retook most of my pre-requisites at a CC. One of the schools I applied to recommended that all pre-requisites be taken within 5 years of applying and so I retook 7 of the required pre-requisites. I also saw it as an opportunity to get all A's and help increase my GPA.

It is true that the caliber of the courses taken at a CC may not be as difficult as some four year universities, but they are nonetheless counted towards fulfilling the necessary courses in order to apply to dental school. It is also true that some dental schools, like TUFTS, do not accept CC coursework. Which is why I researched which schools do not, and applied to the majority which do.

Some people have no choice but to have taken the basic science courses at a CC because it was the route in which they chose to take before transferring to a 4 year university. It may also be due to financial issues, since CCs are much more affordable than taking classes at a 4 year institution. However, some students may also choose to take the courses at a CC because it is sometimes easier to get an A.

What I have found throughout the past year during my application process is that, almost every school I have spoken with does look at 4 year coursework at a higher level than CC classes. However, they also say that receiving A's at a CC is still an achievement.

In the end, my overall, science, and BCP GPA increased after taking the pre-requisites at a CC. My DAT scores were average compared to what is posted here on SDN, I have many hours of community service, and plenty of dental experience. I believe that GPA, DAT scores and extracurriculars are all very important, but I do believe that CC coursework is NOT to an applicants disadvantage. It has helped me receive 7 interviews out of the 12 schools I have applied to and only one rejection.

I think that if you are going to take courses at a CC, do well and do not let it make you feel that you are at a disadvantage. Many students take pre-requisites at CCs, just make sure you get more A's than B's.

Good Luck to everyone, and feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

Ok as for the the schools that don't accept CC credits here they are....

No CC for Prereqs... Electives from CC are ok:
Boston
Creighton
Ohio State
Temple

No CC period:
Tufts
Nebraska
Howard (However, some posters on this board have gotten in with CC credits)

This is according to DocToothaches chart: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335

It should also be noted that these are not hard and fast rules... There are always exceptions. If you have a stellar GPA 3.8+ and Solid DAT 21+, it might be worth your time to apply to these schools. If are an awesome applicant it will be hard for any school to throw your app in the garbage.

Also, I have said it time and time again... and it always seems to be true. Good GPA + Good DAT = Dental school acceptance. This is based on statistical evidence!!! Everything else is secondary and even then... i think your ECs and Personal Statement might even come before your major or the school you went to.

No matter what school you went to or how good your ECs are... it wont ever save you from a mediocre DAT and GPA. Every year many students from Ives and UCs get declined for bad GPA, while many students get in with CC credits with good GPA. The reverse is also true...

Any claim that school name matters at all is only based on anecdotal evidence. Unless someone has real numbers to prove me wrong... which i have not seen after 2 years of regularly visiting this board.

I personally went to a CC, because it made the most sense. Less competition, which makes it easier to get the A. And less expensive, which means i could pay cash and not take out loans. I would also say that even if CC are easier, they are a better learning environment. My Gen Chem class had 40 students and my professor had office hours 4 days a week. He also responded to my emails personally and not a TA. Compared to my Gen Bio which had 430 students in it and my professor had office hours once every 2 weeks. He hardly responded to emails and i dealt mainly with my TA.

At the end of every day.... GPA always wins over school name...

Ok as for the the schools that don't accept CC credits here they are....

No CC for Prereqs... Electives from CC are ok:
Boston
Creighton
Ohio State
Temple

No CC period:
Tufts
Nebraska
Howard (However, some posters on this board have gotten in with CC credits)

This is according to DocToothaches chart: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335

It should also be noted that these are not hard and fast rules... There are always exceptions. If you have a stellar GPA 3.8+ and Solid DAT 21+, it might be worth your time to apply to these schools. If are an awesome applicant it will be hard for any school to throw your app in the garbage.

Also, I have said it time and time again... and it always seems to be true. Good GPA + Good DAT = Dental school acceptance. This is based on statistical evidence!!! Everything else is secondary and even then... i think your ECs and Personal Statement might even come before your major or the school you went to.

No matter what school you went to or how good your ECs are... it wont ever save you from a mediocre DAT and GPA. Every year many students from Ives and UCs get declined for bad GPA, while many students get in with CC credits with good GPA. The reverse is also true...

Any claim that school name matters at all is only based on anecdotal evidence. Unless someone has real numbers to prove me wrong... which i have not seen after 2 years of regularly visiting this board.

I personally went to a CC, because it made the most sense. Less competition, which makes it easier to get the A. And less expensive, which means i could pay cash and not take out loans. I would also say that even if CC are easier, they are a better learning environment. My Gen Chem class had 40 students and my professor had office hours 4 days a week. He also responded to my emails personally and not a TA. Compared to my Gen Bio which had 430 students in it and my professor had office hours once every 2 weeks. He hardly responded to emails and i dealt mainly with my TA.

At the end of every day.... GPA always wins over school name...

WoW, thank you so much for the great info..... Taking CC classes was great experience for me, and I really believe I got great education there... just like in your case, my chem classes had only 32 students and 3 days a week office hours.
I guess all I need is avoiding schools with no CC credits at all...

CC grades are taken into account. Adcoms are human. If I saw a school that said BU, and one that said Boston State CC, I would most likely look at the BU grades with a more credible eye.

That being said, just ace the DAT and or transfer within 2 years, and you'll be on equal playing field.