Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AECOM's secondary is online, but you cannot submit until you've been invited to via email.

SUNY Downstate's secondary is also online and it is unclear if you're supposed to wait to submit until you hear from them (it seems like you may be able to just submit at any time).

Members don't see this ad.

Do you get an email invite for Wash U's secondary? I can't figure out how to create an account.... Maybe that's a sign that Wash U's out of my league? :p

FSU:

Travel
Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.
Fun And Diversion
Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)
Miscellaneous
Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.
Parents
For both mother and father, give the following:

* Where they were raised
* 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
* Traits you get from him/her
* Your rapport with him/her
* His/her hobbies or interests

Siblings
Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.
Practice Vision
In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?
ACT/SAT Scores (if any)
Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these tests.

Those are the most interesting/fun secondary questions I've ever seen. :)Maybe I should apply, checking MSAR... Thx for posting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get an email invite for Wash U's secondary? I can't figure out how to create an account.... Maybe that's a sign that Wash U's out of my league? :p

I don't think it's activated yet. The website says it's available June 25, but as of this morning I still can't log in. I began their secondary app last year (I withdrew my primary app before verification to get a master's degree) and didn't have any problems figuring out how to create an account.

S

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia-online
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Eastern Virginia-not sure
Einstein-not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Ohio state-email invitation
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
UMDNJ-RWJMS-email invitation
Yale - online

Baylor - not sure
Columbia-online
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Einstein-not sure
Johns Hopkins - not sure
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
Yale - online

You have to go to Baylor's website to get their secondary. They do not send out notices

this is my first post.. so hope im doing this right....

i have been reading that people got an email invite from UMDNJ.. but i haven't yet and that is my state school! i have gotten secondaries from columbia and GW even though i haven't been verified yet.. is umdnj only sending out secondaries after verification??!

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia-online
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Einstein-not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
UMich - Email Invite
Yale - online

You have to go to Baylor's website to get their secondary. They do not send out notices

Thanks! Sheesh, how do they expect you to know when they make it available online? An email notification would be nice. Without SDN, I'd definitely not have noticed that the Tulane or Baylor secondaries were out yet.

And I LOVED that Baylor's secondary was online, had only one "optional" essay, could be paid by paypal, and did not require a passport photo. I'm already in love with Baylor! Ok, so it's a longshot, but it's nice to have a crush.

I thought columbia is an "email invite" instead of "online" I just got the email today. Let me know if I am wrong. I thought we were using the terms "email invite" and "online" to signify whether you have to be invited to fill it out or whether they expect you to know to fill it out yourself.

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia-email invite
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Einstein-not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
UMich - Email Invite
Yale - online

When Columbia asks about "collegiate extracurriculars" do they basically just want to know about student clubs? I have a lot of good ECs, but most of them did not take place in the context of "collegiate" extracurriculars...I didn't even list club membership ECs on my AMCAS...what to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
When Columbia asks about "collegiate extracurriculars" do they basically just want to know about student clubs? I have a lot of good ECs, but most of them did not take place in the context of "collegiate" extracurriculars...I didn't even list club membership ECs on my AMCAS...what to do?

I'm listing extracurrics I did during college, not just clubs. i don't think they'd mind a few extra words. you're only allowed to use commas, so just list them:
Chem research, choir, juggling club, sorority, etc etc.

I got an interview from U Mich. Hooray!!!

Jefferson Medical College has a pdf of their application on their website

http://www.jefferson.edu/jmc/admissions/appforms.cfm

u have to wait for an email though and u can submit it online.

Wow... their LOR requirement is asking a lot from non-trads. I'm well out of college and there's no way I can secure 4 LOR's from a bio, physics, chem, and humanities prof. Nor do I have any type of pre-med committee or advisory panel.

Wow... their LOR requirement is asking a lot from non-trads. I'm well out of college and there's no way I can secure 4 LOR's from a bio, physics, chem, and humanities prof. Nor do I have any type of pre-med committee or advisory panel.

I guess i'm not applying there. AMCAS fee down the drain.

you should call them and ask abotu that specifically just in case. sometimes they'll be lenient and allow you to subsititute one of the LOR's

What if you don't send in all the LOR's that satisfy their requirements? Do you still get completed and a possible interview invite?

What's with Jefforson asking for SAT scores? I thought only WashU did that, though I am not entirely sure what purpose this information serves (anyone? just to see if you are a good test taker?)....It seems like if you are going to be asked to submit SAT scores you should be able to include other things from HS too....Can you list the highest score?

In terms of letters of recommendation, it seems they might be flexible since they are willing to accept whatever the packet the school sends...and many don't have any particular requirements. I think it's worth giving them a call to see what they say.

What's with Jefforson asking for SAT scores? I thought only WashU did that, though I am not entirely sure what purpose this information serves (anyone? just to see if you are a good test taker?)....It seems like if you are going to be asked to submit SAT scores you should be able to include other things from HS too....Can you list the highest score?

In terms of letters of recommendation, it seems they might be flexible since they are willing to accept whatever the packet the school sends...and many don't have any particular requirements. I think it's worth giving them a call to see what they say.

Baylor asks for your high school class size, high school class rank, SAT and ACT scores. They do say you can put "N/A" if it is unknown. I put N/A for class rank, SAT and ACT, cause I honestly don't remember. I'm 32 years old. Yeesh.

It looks like you can email the admissions director if you can't satisfy their requirements. I might try that.

What if you don't send in all the LOR's that satisfy their requirements? Do you still get completed and a possible interview invite?

Good News!!! I just called in at Jefferson. You are allowed to substitute letters. They basically just want to see science letters. I asked if 2 science letters + 1 humanities is OK, and the lady say that's fine.

Baylor asks for your high school class size, high school class rank, SAT and ACT scores. They do say you can put "N/A" if it is unknown. I put N/A for class rank, SAT and ACT, cause I honestly don't remember. I'm 32 years old. Yeesh.

I honestly don't remember any of that either. :confused:

Is there any way to find out online?

BTW Has anyone gotten access to Jefferson's online app yet?

First date for UMich interview is Sept 7.

gradu82008 - which secondary are you on that asks you to list the online bcpm classes? I was planning on taking a Calc class online - would love to know which school is asking for it....

gradu82008 - which secondary are you on that asks you to list the online bcpm classes? I was planning on taking a Calc class online - would love to know which school is asking for it....

UMC @ University of Mississippi

Does anyone have any idea what to do in this situation? :scared:

What are people's thoughts on the optional have you faced any obstacles questions....I admit I am a pretty lucky person, didn't have to raise 12 siblings in a jungle somewhere. I could write about a leadership or research obstacle I have faced, but it was already mentioned in my ECs on the AMCAS (not as an obstacle but as an achievement). If you don't have something dramatic to say, should you say nothing at all?

gradu8in2003 - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would call the school and beg...

I copied and pasted this from their school of medicine admissions requirements web page...

Unacceptable Courses - None of the 90 semester hours of minimum collegiate requirements listed or described or recommended above may be met by the following: correspondence courses; courses in physical training, military science, or dogmatic religion; courses in mathematics or science designed for non-science majors; or course credit granted without college-level testing. A limited number of telecourse credits may be accepted for liberal arts electives; however, none will be accepted for required science and math courses. Courses taken outside science and math departments (course prefix other than BIOL, CHEM, PHYS or MATH) are not acceptable as required courses.

What's everyone's opinion on Baylor's "essay" question -- is it one of those that they don't want us to answer unless we have anything really interesting to say, or something that we should pretty much answer...?

I am getting secondaries from schools yet my AMCAS still says it is under review. Are these unscreened secondaries or what? Is anyone else getting this? Thanks.

gradu8in2003 - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I would call the school and beg...

I copied and pasted this from their school of medicine admissions requirements web page...

Unacceptable Courses - None of the 90 semester hours of minimum collegiate requirements listed or described or recommended above may be met by the following: correspondence courses; courses in physical training, military science, or dogmatic religion; courses in mathematics or science designed for non-science majors; or course credit granted without college-level testing. A limited number of telecourse credits may be accepted for liberal arts electives; however, none will be accepted for required science and math courses. Courses taken outside science and math departments (course prefix other than BIOL, CHEM, PHYS or MATH) are not acceptable as required courses.

Checked with my premed advisor and he said it was fine since they weren't acknowledged that way on my transcript.

What's everyone's opinion on Baylor's "essay" question -- is it one of those that they don't want us to answer unless we have anything really interesting to say, or something that we should pretty much answer...?

No idea what their intentions are with this question, but the form doesn't actually let you leave it blank.

Jefferson's secondary doesn't seem to have an essay. Is the "additional information" section for additional race/ethnicity related information?

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia-email invite
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
FSU- email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
UMich - Email Invite
Yale - online

Anyone not get Cornell yet?

For UMDNJ, what does "email invitation" mean? There is no secondary, but I am supposed to wait for an email invitation? Has everyone that applied to UMDNJ already gotten that email??

i haven't gotten cornell either. as a matter of fact, i've only recieved columbia. :mad:

can we get this stickied to the top? thanks

sorry im new... what do you mean stickied to the top?

can we get this stickied to the top? thanks

Could you guys also create the links/posts to what the essay prompts on the secondaries are like what they had for last year?

stickied to the top means that we don't always have to dig down in the forum to find it- it stays at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.