Is this research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked in a Alzheimer's lab for 1.5 years. I went in about 8 hours per week and did immunohistochemistry staining on brain slides. Would this be considered research even though I didn't have my own project and didnt really do any analyzing of data?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, sure is. Just make sure to not fall into the trap of embellishing it on your CV, as if it were your own project. It's always possible you might be asked about the research.

I worked in a Alzheimer's lab for 1.5 years. I went in about 8 hours per week and did immunohistochemistry staining on brain slides. Would this be considered research even though I didn't have my own project and didnt really do any analyzing of data?

Dude. 1 1/2 years doing immunohistochemistry on Alzheimer's brains? Put. That. On. Your. App. And make sure you know/ can talk about what the research was for. That will come up in interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude. 1 1/2 years doing immunohistochemistry on Alzheimer's brains? Put. That. On. Your. App. And make sure you know/ can talk about what the research was for. That will come up in interviews.

+1 I've heard if you have substantial research, KNOW everything about your projects/papers.

Just make sure you can talk about it even if your name isn't on anything. I worked in a social psych lab for 2 years and even though my name isn't on anything but I can tell you all about the aims of the different projects, how they were designed, the theories behind them, what was found, what was concluded, why they're significant, etc. Also, some schools like to see just how engaged you were in research and not just box checking. So be prepared to talk about the research from different perspectives e.g., what are the implications of the findings, explain it to me as if I were a 3rd grader, etc.

+1 I've heard if you have substantial research, KNOW everything about your projects/papers.

Having substantial research implies you know the majority of what is going on. It is those who put in the "grunt work" and not the "intellectual work" that don't know much about the project. This is usually where the problem lies with people who state they did a good majority of the work.

OP needs to be doing more than routine staining for it to be substantial research or to the point of being author on a paper (sorry I don't mean to put you down OP by stating this). However, it is still research experience none the less. Main thing is for OP to be honest about what he/she has done.

Last edited:
I just want to reiterate to you all that when you are considering what counts/qualifies for your app one of the most important questions you have to ask is, can I go in depth explaining and justifying X experience in an interview. The last thing you want is to get caught stumbling in an interview... trust me, they can and will pick things to talk about that surprise you and angles to ask things that you haven't considered. If you stretch it or try to pad your app it won't pay off.

Good luck to you all this cycle!

Of course it's research man!

Yeah, when I go into the lab my PI would just be like "we need these slides stained with this marker etc" then when I was done I would just give them to the pathologist. I did start one project last year where I had to go through the computer and pull cases that were relevant. I then did the stainings, but then the year ended and the project sat on the back burner.

Having substantial research implies you know the majority of what is going on. It is those who put in the "grunt work" and not the "intellectual work" that don't know much about the project. This is usually where the problem lies with people who state they did a good majority of the work.

OP needs to be doing more than routine staining for it to be substantial research or to the point of being author on a paper (sorry I don't mean to put you down OP by stating this). However, it is still research experience none the less. Main thing is for OP to be honest about what he/she has done.

I had that issue in my lab, I told the professor I work under I did not really understand the project I'm pretty much helping out with (upperclassman was very helpful but he graduated, upperclassman who took over was very rude to me and I frankly was sick of it. Ended up switching over to my own project :thumbup:). Currently working on a paper for it.

The problem for me is that each week the slides I stain are for different projects that other people are working on.

Ah, I know what you mean. Maybe ask your professor if you can help/start your own project.

List it as research. Most undergrad "research" is just grunt work and adcoms know that.