Do you ever wish you could follow an interesting case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an EM physician, I know you have some opportunity to check and see how an admitted patient is doing. However, some sick patients are really interesting -- do you ever wish you could have more involvement with those cases after stabilizing and admitting the pt? Does it ever feel like not enough for you to send them on their way? Or are you more focused on the next critical case or the next diagnosis?

A physician friend of mine with experience in EM and critical care got me thinking about this. If any other physicians can weigh in, I'd appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

What I've found so far (I'm only a resident) is that if there's a patient I'm interested in down in the ED, my curiosity is well sated by following their electronic medical records after admission. I don't feel the need to actually be involved in their day-to-day work-up and treatment. I think that would be tedious, especially for those patients that are inpatient for weeks or months. But checking in once a week on the computer lets me know if I got the ball going on the right track in the ED, what things I maybe should have done differently, and the patient's well-being (or lack thereof).

Does HIPPA impact following up on an ED patient? I would think that once you admit and transfer care, you're no longer considered part of the treatment team and thus not technically allowed to access the record...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does HIPPA impact following up on an ED patient? I would think that once you admit and transfer care, you're no longer considered part of the treatment team and thus not technically allowed to access the record...

Don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt it. You were the person's doctor, after all (maybe different if you transfer them to another facility).

And sorry to be a pedant here, but the abbreviation is HIPAA. It stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (pet peeve of mine).

Don't know for sure, but I seriously doubt it. You were the person's doctor, after all (maybe different if you transfer them to another facility).

It is generally allowed for educational/QA purposes to continue to follow a case you were part of (but now no longer are) however some (stupid, short-sighted) institutions have stricter limitations that what HIPAA allows. Following up in the EMR is frankly no different than calling up the hospitalist/surgeon/forensic pathologist and asking "hey, what happened to Mrs. Jones?"

As for the different facility question, I don't know what HIPAA says about that however most institutions don't allow it. It's rather common at my institution for the VA next door to be at capacity and have them come to the University for evaluation and admission. While most of us have access to CPRS to look up VA records, we are technically not allowed to and must go through the regular channels to request "outside" records (and vice versa when patients are transferred from the U to the VA).

I follow the interesting patients I see in the ED that I admit through EMR or asking my colleagues. I do occasionally wonder what happened to a patient I had to transfer (especially the out-of-network peds cases), but I don't feel crushing disappointment about lack of follow-up. If I really want to know what happens to someone I discharged then I call them.

do you ever wish you could have more involvement with those cases after stabilizing and admitting the pt? Does it ever feel like not enough for you to send them on their way?

No, and no.

I have... But here in LV I am just gonna give up because good cases are wasted on piss poor inpatient care...
This is probably true at all community places...
Admit a potentially very interesting case and no matter what, the name of the game is simply to get some imaging, fix abnormal labs and discharge to home/rehab. Making ability to follow tests/consults/rtc on the EMR impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our EMR has mostly dictations, so for H&P, discharge summaries and consults there is complete prose available to read, which makes following up on patients easy.

I typically follow up on all critically ill, interesting, or the rare nice patient that I see. In general it's QI for myself to see what I missed, what I could have done differently and what I did right.

Our EMR makes it easy to follow up on patients. We have a patient list that automatically populates with patients still in the hospital that we placed any order on. So as long as they are still in the hospital, that list will keep a tab of my patients (usually 15-30 patients long). I follow up on a lot of my patients just because its easy. I can quickly find out if a chest pain ruled in or if a bad COPDer ended up getting intubated.

Our institution also gives limited access to physicians that refer a large number of people to our hospital (ER docs, family docs, hospitalists, intensivists, etc) at other hospitals to the same EMR so that they can follow up on their patients.

I think it's incredibly beneficial because it provides a little QA as to my workup as well as my initial diagnosis. I don't typically go to their room and actually see them just because it is so far out of the way and would inevitably take 20 or 30 minutes once the family began talking to me.

I have... But here in LV I am just gonna give up because good cases are wasted on @#!*% poor inpatient care...
This is probably true at all community places...
Admit a potentially very interesting case and no matter what, the name of the game is simply to get some imaging, fix abnormal labs and discharge to home/rehab. Making ability to follow tests/consults/rtc on the EMR impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you give an example of a case you think should have been treated differently?

Thirded....

I much prefer getting the end story a few days later from the EMR.

I'll admit I am an - apparent - outlier here.

I do wish I could manage critical care patients for a longer period of time -- but then again, I will likely be starting a CCM fellowship in the near future.

However, like the others have said above - I have no interest in following the typical patient beyond the ED...except for EMR checks for both interest and "QA"/education.

HH