Digital Pathology on YouTube

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSBlais

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHddMxs_nr8[/youtube]

Alright we all know this is coming. Digital imaging is what putted radiology way in front of pathology. Now that pathology will finally become digital, don't you think the gap will be reduced?

Are you guys excited of the new patholgy era? Looks like a good time to enter the field!

Members don't see this ad.

Alright we all know this is coming. Digital imaging is what putted radiology way in front of pathology. Now that pathology will finally become digital, don't you think the gap will be reduced?

Are you guys excited of the new patholgy era? Looks like a good time to enter the field!

The gap? what gap? :confused: What are you talking about?

and the ability to digitize slides is nothing new...

I don't know, I think as yet digital imaging seems more like a toy in search of a use. I'm sure there will be a gradual shift, but from what my profs have to say, glass won't be going away very soon. I'm sure GE would love to sell academia as many toys as possible, but with all the costs associated with healthcare presently, I don't think it would be worthwhile yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, I think as yet digital imaging seems more like a toy in search of a use. I'm sure there will be a gradual shift, but from what my profs have to say, glass won't be going away very soon. I'm sure GE would love to sell academia as many toys as possible, but with all the costs associated with healthcare presently, I don't think it would be worthwhile yet.

True, and just reminder to anyone reading this who isn't familiar with the technical hurdles. Yes radiology and cards imaging is digital. Most of it STARTS digital... The CT and MRI are computer generated images. And a X-ray is a flat black and white image (ok black white and shades of grey).

Slides are not B&W, must be viewed under multiple objectives (x2 to x40 or even x100), and at higher powers and cytology are not flat.

I was talking of the gap between Rads and Path... I was thinking that Path would "maybe" get a similiar status as Rads when new technologies will be in place.

I was talking of the gap between Rads and Path... I was thinking that Path would "maybe" get a similiar status as Rads when new technologies will be in place.

I'm guessing you mean the clinical gap? or maybe gap money?

Technology and digital slides aren't really tied to reimbursement....

Status? Status with whom?
We have plenty of status with Surgeons, oncologist and radiologist (doing CT guided biopsies), they know who they have to come talk to for the Dx.

I'm guessing you mean the clinical gap? or maybe gap money?

Technology and digital slides aren't really tied to reimbursement....

Status? Status with whom?
We have plenty of status with Surgeons, oncologist and radiologist (doing CT guided biopsies), they know who they have to come talk to for the Dx.

Sorry Dj, I think I'm having some problems expressing what I'm thinking (english is not my 1rst language) ;)

Yes, I meant clinical and money and also the overall perception that people have of pathologists. I think things could get very exciting for pathologists with digital imaging but like you said, it will take times to be implanted.