Digital Pathology Hype

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like the hype around digital pathology is just getting more ridiculous every day. This is literally the dumbest article that I've read this month. This so painful to read.

"OMGZ THE 5G AND DIGITAL MAKE PATHOLOGY SOOOOOO FAST!"

How?? Maybe you should acknowledge your inefficient process first...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I feel like the hype around digital pathology is just getting more ridiculous every day. This is literally the dumbest article that I've read this month. This so painful to read.

"OMGZ THE 5G AND DIGITAL MAKE PATHOLOGY SOOOOOO FAST!"

How?? Maybe you should acknowledge your inefficient process first...
I think it is a mixed bag. We are currently in the process of implementing a digital platform. We decided to go down this road for various reasons. Anyone who has practiced pathology for any significant period knows that it is NOT going to make us faster at an individual pathologist level for the vast majority of cases. Signing out a tubular adenoma will take longer using digital. Period.

I do think it can achieve efficiencies in the overall process for practices that have to deliver glass slides a relatively long distance from the central lab via courier. This is our situation for a few sites and one of the reasons we made the switch.

The user interface is pretty cool and makes certain things easier such as measuring on the slide and correlating IHCs with H&E. I do think AI has the potential to make some of our mundane tasks easier (ie counting mitoses, scoring quantitative stains, etc). Of course that is only possible with digital. We are also using it for remote frozen sections for one site and it makes tumor board preparation super easy.

I think our field is relatively sparse as it relates to major technological innovations. That is probably driving some of the hype as well. Digital pathology is great if you properly manage expectations. Like any laboratory process, it comes with its own set of challenges and problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I suspect that as this is adopted, a new role will be thrust upon residents. The one month rotation on surg path where they get to cut the frozen and drive the slide for the attending who is across the street.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already have 5G from the covid vaccine. Just inject some nanorobots and upload chatGPT and I'll be JC Denton a one man, one stop shop for any and all pathology needs.

I am seeing more and more successful launch’s of digital helping large group spread out over multiple locations gain efficiencies with central Histo lab using digital mostly to help in slide distribution. Think about all the time and labor costs sorting slides, marrying up paper work, courier time, etc.

Saw a demo of applying digital / AI to prostate needle cores. Worked well - paths were faster too time / case

I am seeing more and more successful launch’s of digital helping large group spread out over multiple locations gain efficiencies with central Histo lab using digital mostly to help in slide distribution. Think about all the time and labor costs sorting slides, marrying up paper work, courier time, etc.

Saw a demo of applying digital / AI to prostate needle cores. Worked well - paths were faster too time / case
Digital pathology only makes sense if you are a widely dispersed multisite or multistate practice with a complicated slide distribution network to manage. The savings on transportation costs, especially today, could be realized very quickly. However, if you are a local path group with less than a handful of sites to manage, especially if they each have their own histology lab, then it makes no sense to invest.

CA, FL, HI. Y’all must love high malpractice rates 😱. How about a sea-island beach in S.C.?

CA, FL, HI. Y’all must love high malpractice rates 😱. How about a sea-island beach in S.C.?
Can't deal with the religiosity of the deep South. And I'm more of a rocky shore guy than a sandy beach guy.

Reactions: 4 users
Been to/lived in them all; and the corn fields of central IL. They are all beautiful if you look.