Dental office management software

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salvarsan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking for suggestions on dental office software for a friend of mine that just started a practise...any recommendations by dentists out there? How much should he expect to pay?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I have used EZ dental for the past few months. It's alright software for the front office. The new version is around 2.5k.

I have EZ dental at my associateship. It is a pretty good program. But I also just purchased OpenDental for my new startup. It is far and away the most powerful program out there, support is phenomenal, interface is intuitive and they will add features at your request.

Oh, did I mention that there is no upfront cost? You have to agree to $150/month service contract for the first six months, but after that the program is yours. The $150/month includes unlimited phone support.

You can download the trial at www.open-dent.com before you decide on purchasing the full version.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "big 3" by most accounts currently are Softdent, Dentrix and Eaglesoft.

We recently did a switch from Softdent to Dentrix in my office. Short version as to why, is that Softdent just doesn't have the abilities to generate the reports that my partner and I want for a group practice, whereas Dentrix does. Softdent was however a decent program for my pre-partner days when the office operated basically as a solo practitioner.

Our price for licenses for 14 terminals, 2 days of in-office staff training, full data conversion and essentially all the bells and whistles that Dentrix offers (including their "Guru" feature which is basically a patient education program where not only can the patient view short video segements of procedures they need/symptoms + disease processes they have, but you can e-mail them the same video clips for their home use) was basically 14k.

A start-up solo practitioner will likely not need/want all the features that many programs have. However, as that practice grows and more providers are added, and more fees are generated, you may very well feel the need to change to a different program that will allow you to better manage and oversee the entire economic side of the practice from patient referrals to billing to collections and expenses, which can give you a better idea of where your money is going, where your greatest profit centers are and areas of your practice that are underutlized/under peforming.

The "big 3" by most accounts currently are Softdent, Dentrix and Eaglesoft.

We recently did a switch from Softdent to Dentrix in my office. Short version as to why, is that Softdent just doesn't have the abilities to generate the reports that my partner and I want for a group practice, whereas Dentrix does. Softdent was however a decent program for my pre-partner days when the office operated basically as a solo practitioner.

Our price for licenses for 14 terminals, 2 days of in-office staff training, full data conversion and essentially all the bells and whistles that Dentrix offers (including their "Guru" feature which is basically a patient education program where not only can the patient view short video segements of procedures they need/symptoms + disease processes they have, but you can e-mail them the same video clips for their home use) was basically 14k.

A start-up solo practitioner will likely not need/want all the features that many programs have. However, as that practice grows and more providers are added, and more fees are generated, you may very well feel the need to change to a different program that will allow you to better manage and oversee the entire economic side of the practice from patient referrals to billing to collections and expenses, which can give you a better idea of where your money is going, where your greatest profit centers are and areas of your practice that are underutlized/under peforming.

How difficult was it to covert your patient files from Softdent to Dentrix? We would like to switch but are terrified of the transition. 3 dentists, 5000 + active patients, and paperless practice. Is it worth the hassle?

How difficult was it to covert your patient files from Softdent to Dentrix? We would like to switch but are terrified of the transition. 3 dentists, 5000 + active patients, and paperless practice. Is it worth the hassle?

Our rep insisted that it would be quick, easy and painfree, and for the most part her words were dead on! A few minor conversion issues were all that we encountered, and my office is 2 dentists and essentially the same sumber of active patients. So in this instance atleast, a mnaufacturers rep wasn't feeding a line of BS. One of my friends who practices about 5 miles from my office, recently did the Dentrix switch to and had the same essentially problem free data conversion too(his switch was Eaglesoft to Dentrix).

This was by far and away the biggest concern that my partner and I and our office manager for that matter too, had about making the switch, and it's also the area where we made sure that our rep and the tech support people from Dentrix felt comfortbale with before we signed the purchase contract. For my office, they started the conversion on a Friday AM, and successfully finished from what they said by 5PM that day!

The other thing that my partner and I did was LISTEN to what the tech folks reccomended that we have/use for hardware and went with those reccomendations from day 1! So this way we didn't have to make any upgrade purchases soon after Dentrix went live so that things would run both as they advertised and as we wanted.

One of my friends, who practices about 5 miles from my office recently did the same switch to Dentrix when he went through a "dental divorce" with his now former partner and opened up his own office. He had a very similar and easy data conversion too (his switch was eaglesoft to dentrix). As the tech rep told us, basically if you're running a windows based system, data conversion tends to be quite easy and accurrate nowadays, unlike in years past.

If you're just starting out with just one dentist, then get the absolute cheapest, easiest one to use.

For me, the Big Three are too expensive and complicated. I bought TDOCS for $795 in 2000 and it's still in use today without any upgrades or annual fees since. TDOCS was bought out by Patterson who wanted to charge me a ridiculous $3600 just for data conversion, training and one year support. I found PerfectByte on Ebay last year for $69, which was so easy I was billing within an hour without any support nor training. Go look on ebay for "dental software." And while you're on ebay, get the SolarCam intraoral camera for only $50 bucks; it's just as good and small as the $2000-$5000 intraoral camera the rep will sell you.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am looking for suggestions on dental office software for a friend of mine that just started a practise...any recommendations by dentists out there? How much should he expect to pay?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

It really just depends on personal preference. I found a good article that you can look over that could help in your decision. Here's a link to it - http://www.squidoo.com/dentalsoftware

I hope that helps!

I think I was one of the first 500 users of Dentrix. Get one that will grow with you and then stick with it. The reason the big three are the big three is because they work and have been around long enough that it is unlikely that they are going to go anywhere unlike a lot of dental management software that started at the same time dentrix and Eaglesoft did.

If you factor in the amount of downtime and decreased productivity that you will experience going from one software system to another one in addition to the cost of buying TWO software systems instead of one, you are going to save much more money and have less aggravation getting one and sticking to it even if it is initially more expensive.

And most importantly don't get a system that you understand, get one that the high school graduate that you hire to answer phones can understand. You staff will be using it much more than you ever will.

...get one that the high school graduate that you hire to answer phones can understand.

I guess that is one way to make the fresh-graduate doctor look older. :laugh:

I'd probably vote that there must be a bell-shaped curve to intelligence/appearance that you want to nail right on the head. I suppose all you stats heads out there that we could come up with some neat analytical program that compares bust size to patient satisfaction to doctor aggravation to doctor's wife aggravation.

I think it should be standard office protocol when hiring to list your "stats" along with your stats on your resume.

:thumbup:

And most importantly don't get a system that you understand, get one that the high school graduate that you hire to answer phones can understand. You staff will be using it much more than you ever will.

I guess that is one way to make the fresh-graduate doctor look older. :laugh:

I'd probably vote that there must be a bell-shaped curve to intelligence/appearance that you want to nail right on the head. I suppose all you stats heads out there that we could come up with some neat analytical program that compares bust size to patient satisfaction to doctor aggravation to doctor's wife aggravation.

I think it should be standard office protocol when hiring to list your "stats" along with your stats on your resume.

:thumbup:

So, so true! Heck, when an upgrade comes through for whatever practice management system you decide to run in your office, half the time you almost need to get some therapy for your office staff even if something as simple as the color of the main page changes :rolleyes:

Also, Dentrix wise, my office staff, once they went through their training on it, describes it in the following way, "it's so simple, that even the docs can use it!" :laugh: (the sad thing is, there right :smack: )

What are everyones' thoughts on, Curve Dental, the first web-based practice management software?

It looks promising. The world is moving toward web-based systems, and I see no reason why dentistry shouldn't be going the same way.

Hup

Members don't see this ad :)
What are everyones' thoughts on, Curve Dental, the first web-based practice management software?

It looks promising. The world is moving toward web-based systems, and I see no reason why dentistry shouldn't be going the same way.

Hup

What happens when their servers go down?

Hup

Hup is right. Cloud computing (things like gmail and facebook, where the user interface is online) is definitely taking off...it is the next biggest trend in technology. This is not a hunch, I had the pleasure of taking a highly renowned marketing professor's class at my b-school, and we spent a session talking about how cloud computing is taking over traditional programs.

What happens when their servers go down?

This is also a valid point. But every type of program has it's pros/cons. I'm not sure if Dentrix does this, but if you have a computer/server that houses your patient information, and that computer crashes, then are those records lost? If they are, then the web-based program has a leg up in this issue because you can always retrieve your records from their server (since you do it all online, it's saved to their servers, not yours).

However, if Dentrix also saves your records/charts on their server...then Dentrix overcomes that flaw.

Once again, each type of software medium has its pros/cons.

However, this server/security/record-retrieval issue is probably just one aspect of a very complex set of variables that would cause a dentist to choose one dental software program over another.

EDIT: FYI...I'm not a dentist (yet :)) and I haven't used either of these programs. I'm just letting you guys know what the general trend is for the technology sector as a whole.

Last edited:

Hup

Intro's of such a significant thing as practice management software scare me on many levels!

#1 - there's always a bug or two in any software system, there just usually happens to be more with brand new products

#2 - you're so much more reliant on your internet connection with a web-based program. I've atleast got a daily external HD back-up of my practice management system in my off and can fully run my system (less the daily batch file of online claim submissions to ins companies) in my office if the internet is down.

#3 - Proven tech support. I feel pretty darned confident that if I have a tech issue, 2, 5, 10 years down the road, that my practice management software company will still be there, always an issue with start-ups, and even an issue with many a Mac fan as there's such a small market for Mac based practice management systems that customer support and/or regular, evolutionary upgrades to one's system aren't usually as easy/plentifull as they are for Windows based systems

Intro's of such a significant thing as practice management software scare me on many levels!

#1 - there's always a bug or two in any software system, there just usually happens to be more with brand new products

#2 - you're so much more reliant on your internet connection with a web-based program. I've atleast got a daily external HD back-up of my practice management system in my off and can fully run my system (less the daily batch file of online claim submissions to ins companies) in my office if the internet is down.

#3 - Proven tech support. I feel pretty darned confident that if I have a tech issue, 2, 5, 10 years down the road, that my practice management software company will still be there, always an issue with start-ups, and even an issue with many a Mac fan as there's such a small market for Mac based practice management systems that customer support and/or regular, evolutionary upgrades to one's system aren't usually as easy/plentifull as they are for Windows based systems

DrJeff, does Dentrix allow you to access your software/records/reports from home via your internet connection? If so, that's one amazing and useful feature to have.

DrJeff, does Dentrix allow you to access your software/records/reports from home via your internet connection? If so, that's one amazing and useful feature to have.

Remote log-in from out of the office is no problem. Actually one of my front desk employees who handles a big chunk of billing for the office does on average 2/3rds of her hours from home each week!

Plus, if I get an emergency call at night/over the weekend, I can remotely log in from either my lap top or via my blackberry, look at my schedule for the next day(s) I'm working and then tell the patient what time I'll see them, rather than having them just call the office the next day, and then have my office staff have to ask me what time/day I want to see them.

Most of this capability isn't just dentrix specific these days with the availability of remote access programs today.

I had that feature in the late 90's using PC Anywhere. Now with browser equipped phones it is even easier to access your office computer from anywhere with just your phone.

I vouch for OPENDENTAL!

I had a start up with opendental and have very little issues.
It is free to download and you can play with it: No brainer.

You only pay for monthly support which is less than $150 /mth.
Did I say their support is unparralleled? You can even reach them on a weekend!

It has taken our 0 patient start up to over 1M in 2 yrs with very little hassles. Need I say more.

Another great thinng is you can buy ANY 3rd party equipments or software and integrates with OD so very easily. Not so with the big 3 where you are STUCK with their **$%^&# expensive proprietery softwares and equipments.

Need I say more.
Trust the wet fingered dentist, not the sales rep.

I can access opendental from anywhere in the world.

By the way opendental is created by a wet fingered dentist who happened to be a computer geek and who was frustrated with Dentrix. He will be still be around for a long time even when the other PMS even the big 3 gets bought over by other companies. So I wouldn't worry about if this relatively unheard of software called opendental will still be around 3 decades later.

My staff including myself who never used a practice mgmt software in the past thinks it is so easy to use and intuitive.

It really just depends on personal preference. I found a good article that you can look over that could help in your decision. Here's a link to it - http://www.squidoo.com/dentalsoftware

I hope that helps!

I had a start up with saraldent.All clinical details of the patient are only a few clicks away.It also enables you to easy data entry with minimum typing thanks to a simple drag and drop interface

Another one to look at is DOX (Dental Office Express).
http://ksbdental.com/DOX_text.htm

They have helped run our two doctor practice since 1987.
It has all the bells and whistles of the big three and a great
support team.

Open Dental is the best. 150$/ month and more user friendly then Dentrix. Eaglesoft/ Dentrix are a huge rip off.

You may want to research this on a website like dental town.

Let me say first that I am a believer in cloud computing as it relates to practice management. I run a practice involving several clinics, and web-based systems are by far the easiest way to access info easily from clinic to clinic. They're also definitely cheaper than most other systems you have to buy individual servers for. However, I do think you should approach with some trepidation. I tried Open Dental for a few months, and the thing is full of bugs. We lost patient data on several occasions and embarrassingly had to call them and ask certain questions twice....

(sigh) I have since made the switch to another web-based software called PureChart, and the staff and I have found it great so far... We'll see if this lasts.

Hi All,

Ever heard of cloud based software that support ALL and ANY versions of dental practice management software (Dentrix, SoftDent, PracticeWorks, name it, etc, etc)? This cloud based software will solve all your needs in a matter of seconds and 2-3 touches of buttons, will extract and organize all info you have on Dentrix and ANY software you already have. Please email me for help or more info, and I'd like to share.

I worked at an office for awhile that was using a software called MOGO. I thought it was really nice and easy to use, and from what I understand it was much less expensive than the big 3.

For a cash-strapped start-up in this economy.... Open Dental... you can have it for $0, or $150/month for first 6 month. After that, $99/month.
For a cash-flushed start-up in the boom time... Open Dental b/d it can bridge to many imaging high tech gadget.. fully capable for paperless environmental and excellent customer service

Disclaimer: OpenDental user since 2005

why not one docctor who have this software can give to the other doctor for free or for less money? why not

why not one doctor who have this software can give to the other doctor for free or for less money? why not

For printing paper claim, you can easily pass it along to another person to use it if it's easy enough to self learn. For electronic claim, I've never done it so I don't know how it would work. I'm still using a software from 12 years for my paper claims with no support whatsoever.