EM/IM Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

The following are AOA (DO) accredit programs that offers EM/IM (note that only programs that participated in the 2007 AOA match are listed, so there is a discrepency between this list and what is shown on DO Opportunities website, which unfortuantely is not kept up to date)

St James Hosp & Health Centers - Olympia Fields, IL

Pontiac Osteopathic Hosp Med Center - Pontiac, MI

Henry Ford Bi-County Hospital - Warren, MI

UMDNJ-SOM/Kennedy Mem Hsp/Our Lady of Lourdes - Stratford, NJ

St Barnabas Hospital - Bronx, NY

OUCOM/South Pointe Hosp/Cleveland Clinic - Warrensville Heights, OH

OUCOM/Doctors Hospital - Columbus, OH

OUCOM/St John West Shore Hospital - Westlake, OH

Frankford Hospitals - Philadelphia, PA

Are these programs 5 years in length? Thanks.

BMW-

The following are AOA (DO) accredit programs that offers EM/IM (note that only programs that participated in the 2007 AOA match are listed, so there is a discrepency between this list and what is shown on DO Opportunities website, which unfortuantely is not kept up to date)

St James Hosp & Health Centers - Olympia Fields, IL

Pontiac Osteopathic Hosp Med Center - Pontiac, MI

Henry Ford Bi-County Hospital - Warren, MI

UMDNJ-SOM/Kennedy Mem Hsp/Our Lady of Lourdes - Stratford, NJ

St Barnabas Hospital - Bronx, NY

OUCOM/South Pointe Hosp/Cleveland Clinic - Warrensville Heights, OH

OUCOM/Doctors Hospital - Columbus, OH

OUCOM/St John West Shore Hospital - Westlake, OH

Frankford Hospitals - Philadelphia, PA

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know the AOA EM/IM programs are all 5 years in length

i've applied to both of these, and received interviews at both. this question is probably more eras/match related, but i'll post there too. will turning down an em/im spot decrease my chances to match in the same program's em dept? thanks in advance.

Hello I'm a Mexican IMG, 25 years old, female
Graduated last year, I just got my Step 1 score and I'm devastated, I got 195, not at all what I was expecting.
I'm interested in the IM/EM/CCM programs, I would also be applying to EM/IM and even EM for 2014
Are these programs very competitive?
I have done rotations in the US and was named Chief Medical Student.
I think I have three strong LOR (IM/CCM, Nephrology and Vascular Surgery)
I have worked on 2 research protocols, I have 15 publications: 2 review papers (one in Pubmed), 6 editorials (one in Pubmed), 1 book chapter and 6 abstracts of lectures given.
I have lectured twice at an International EM/CCM symposium
Graduated 4th of my class with honors.

I'm currently working as Reasearch Assistant, full time and that has made studying for the exams a bit harder.

My question is: What is better for me now, to stop working and focus on acing CK, CS and Step 3 or continue building up my curriculum and study as much as I can in between
Any advice?.

Do I even stand a chance of getting Interviews/Matching?
Thank you in advance

Are these programs very competitive?

At least as competitive as the EM program at the same institution.

My question is: What is better for me now, to stop working and focus on acing CK, CS and Step 3 or continue building up my curriculum and study as much as I can in between

Certainly you want to do very well on CK. Pass CS at the first attempt. Step 3 is unlikely to make much difference to your application. If you stop working, a gap in your CV will certainly raise some questions. The next thing you can do to enhance your application is get more US clinical experience, ideally in EM in a department that can write you a good SLOR.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will look into EM options for clinical experience.

Hello all,

I've have been reading through the forums but have yet to see any posts that answer my particular question. I apologize if this has been discussed before, but here it goes...

If an intern in internal medicine were to decide late that he/she would like to pursue a combined EM/I'M residency, how plausible is it that they would be able to switch over. I did not rotate through the emergency department until late in my fourth year and I feel that I would like to have the additonal certification and qualifications so that I can work in the ED as well as on the wards. I should ad that the combined residency is at the same institution as the current Internal medicine program. I'm hoping to speak with the program director but before I did I just wanted to see if there were any people with similar situations out there. I understand that I won't get full funding for the last couple of years, but I'm hoping to be able to supplement my income with moonlighting. Does anyone have any experience with this or heard of people who have done this in the past? Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.