CFO: Would you be interested in a spreadsheet of LizzyM scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

da8s0859q

Some time ago, some of you probably remember me offering to excerpt and post info from the most recent MSAR, which I did indeed do per request (and ended up doing 80something schools before stopping by request of the mod squad here).

Because not all of the statistics I can pull from there can be found on school sites and such, I edited out much of the original content of that thread. But what I was thinking about was compiling a spreadsheet that would contain LizzyM scores for all US allopathic schools as well as some of the DO programs. (A huge thank you to Sketchlazy for doing much of the DO work and original compiling on the spreadsheet I have now).

If you don't know what a LizzyM score is, the Cliffs Notes version is that it is a rough way to gauge your competitiveness to any given school and is equal to:

LizzyM (personal) = GPA*10 + (MCAT overall)
LizzyM (school) = GPA*10 + (MCAT overall) - 1

Naturally, because the school numbers will be from an assortment of sources (median scores in the MSAR, public stats, etc.), this will not be 100% consistent, but it WILL be a bit more respectful of the AAMC-published text since it will not be drawing entirely on that work (nor can the LizzyM formula be reliably reverse-engineered due to the nature of scoring). It is also a bit of an undertaking since I still have several schools I would need to add beyond the huge chunk of them that Sketchlazy already did.

So, the question is: how much of an interest is there in such a thing?

Members don't see this ad.

I think there'd be a lot of interest. I know I'd like to see it.

There's already one for allo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any thing to back up the LizzyM score?

or does it just "look good"

Nothing concrete, but it's a reasonable way to judge things, I think.

But I see there are already similar things floating about.

yup -- I found the spread sheet.

UCSF is a "safety" according to it.. hehe I wish.

I think that -1 is misleading. If anything it should be a plus 1 but that's just IMHO.

it woudl be great since the last one didnt have any florida schools

So a 3.8 with a 35 MCAT would be:

38 + 35 = 73

I have heard that there may be an updated sheet floating around somewhere :whistle:

And there it is. Do you know how updated the #s are Tots?

I believe most of the data was from Spring 2012. Just clicking some of the links I didn't find anything that was off(though the medical schools are probably show to update their websites, some of them had data from 2010-2011 still). Maybe it is time to go through and update some of the numbers or at least check the sources(some lead nowhere..).

That link doesn't work when I try to open it. Is it just my computer or have other people experience the same issue? I have a mac in case it matters.

Do you want to try again? The first link I posted was incorrect. If not then I have attached the document downloaded to excel.(The excel file is not complete though, as the complete file was too big to upload. I had to remove the raw data and OOS page).

Attachments

• Medical School Matriculants Data (SDN).xlsx
    180 KB · Views: 146
Some time ago, some of you probably remember me offering to excerpt and post info from the most recent MSAR, which I did indeed do per request (and ended up doing 80something schools before stopping by request of the mod squad here).

Because not all of the statistics I can pull from there can be found on school sites and such, I edited out much of the original content of that thread. But what I was thinking about was compiling a spreadsheet that would contain LizzyM scores for all US allopathic schools as well as some of the DO programs. (A huge thank you to Sketchlazy for doing much of the DO work and original compiling on the spreadsheet I have now).

If you don't know what a LizzyM score is, the Cliffs Notes version is that it is a rough way to gauge your competitiveness to any given school and is equal to:

Naturally, because the school numbers will be from an assortment of sources (median scores in the MSAR, public stats, etc.), this will not be 100% consistent, but it WILL be a bit more respectful of the AAMC-published text since it will not be drawing entirely on that work (nor can the LizzyM formula be reliably reverse-engineered due to the nature of scoring). It is also a bit of an undertaking since I still have several schools I would need to add beyond the huge chunk of them that Sketchlazy already did.

So, the question is: how much of an interest is there in such a thing?

This actually already exists with full MSAR data and integrated statistical modeling.... the AAMC went after it and had the spreadsheet banned from SDN because it used MSAR data. The data is from like 2010/2011, but it's not like much has changed in the last few years. Anyone who really wants it can probably Google it and find it bittorrented. I've heard it's out there, 'though I haven't gone looking for it.

There's also the SDN-made replacement that's in a Google doc. I believe I saw a link to it in this thread already...

Whoa. I posted this six years ago... talk about thread resurrection.

Status
Not open for further replies.