"What would you like the committee to know about you that wasn't in your application?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CitrusPeel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had this question in two interviews now. Pretty much everything relevant to my experiences, background, wanting to be a doctor, etc. that I'd want a committee to know was on my AMCAS or secondaries. It didn't feel like the right move to say that, so I talked a little about my research interests and how I'd want to extend them in med school, but that didn't feel quite like the right answer either.

Can anyone explain to me what interviewers are looking for when they ask this?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, they're just trying to add anything to your file that you may not have mentioned (or any new developments, like getting a paper published between the initial application and the interview). It's a very common question in interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I've had this question in two interviews now. Pretty much everything relevant to my experiences, background, wanting to be a doctor, etc. that I'd want a committee to know was on my AMCAS or secondaries. It didn't feel like the right move to say that, so I talked a little about my research interests and how I'd want to extend them in med school, but that didn't feel quite like the right answer either.

You can only write so many words on your application about yourself. What else is there about you that isn't in your application?

And a word of advice, introspection is a required trait for a medical student, a resident, and a doctor.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my intentions:
What questions did you (as the interviewee) prepare for that we forgot to ask you...? Or what questions did you wish we had asked you?
“What questions did you wish we had asked you” is very helpful, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
“What questions did you wish we had asked you” is very helpful, thank you!
This is interesting. I would think that maybe this question would be a way for you to add extra details you might want to talk about that they didn't end up asking at all. If anything, it's an excuse to add more stuff to your application after the fact

I ask a variation of this question at the end of my interviews to give interviewees a final opportunity to discuss anything of importance to them or any new interval achievements (that wasn't already emphasized throughout the application process).

For applicants who had nothing to add, they usually just say how thankful they are for the opportunity to learn more about the school and/or excited to matriculate if accepted, which are perfectly fine responses to me if someone's application was otherwise comprehensive. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
I used that question to talk about my new medical assisting job (wasn't listed in AMCAS bc I got it last minute) and stuff I've learned from it.

Is it a bad response if I kind of emphasized something fairly strongly covered by my app but contextualized it as mission fit with the school?

Is it a bad response if I kind of emphasized something fairly strongly covered by my app but contextualized it as mission fit with the school?
Unless your secondary already discussed why the particular experience demonstrated mission fit with the school, I think this is an entirely appropriate response to the question. It brings something new to the table and shows you reflected not only why the school would be good for you, but also why you would be good for the school.

I think this is a time to tell the inte rviewer something unique about yourself. I would ask the fun fact question, asking a fun fact that maybe your friends didn't know about you. My example was my hunting buddies would be surprised to know that I used to watch Dance Moms with my wife. Those were some SCARY women! This really brings the ability to be introspective into play imo. I learned some really great things about some applicants. Others couldn't come up with much. Being prepared to answer this presents a great opportunity to be in a position to set yourself apart from other applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless your secondary already discussed why the particular experience demonstrated mission fit with the school, I think this is an entirely appropriate response to the question. It brings something new to the table and shows you reflected not only why the school would be good for you, but also why you would be good for the school.
Pretty much the only thing I meaningfully added was to say that I could use the trait I emphasized in my app to further the schools mission towards promoting that lol so hopefully that’s good enough