Nova D.O. / D.P.M dual degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMCanesMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I came across this article on the web and I was curious as to whether or not anyone else had heard of this. After I reading it..my immediate thought was "what is the point?"...If anyone can shed some light on why one would do this process I would appreciate it. Thanks!

http://www.podiatryonline.com/main.cfm?pg=students&fn=nova

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that increasing your knowledge base is a splendid thing, but I am so grateful that podiatry found me. Do I want to be a D.O.? Nah. I know that all of the schools and residency programs will graduate us with D.P.M. degrees that qualify us to practice podiatry as we need to; without the help of additional letters behind our names.

I think it is a little strange that a first year resident would suddenly have urges to get another professional degree. But, to each his own.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure that increasing your knowledge base is a splendid thing, but I am so grateful that podiatry found me. Do I want to be a D.O.? Nah. I know that all of the schools and residency programs will graduate us with D.P.M. degrees that qualify us to practice podiatry as we need to; without the help of additional letters behind our names.

I think it is a little strange that a first year resident would suddenly have urges to get another professional degree. But, to each his own.

I agree :thumbup:

Yah I agree with you also. The need for the extra degree didnt make much sense to me...hence I asked. Thanks for the input.

Yah I agree with you also. The need for the extra degree didnt make much sense to me...hence I asked. Thanks for the input.

The more I think about it, the more I realize it's not the degree "DPM" its the title = "podiatry" or "podiatrist". For decades it's been associated as an outside profession.... When they changed the original degree of "Pod. C" (sp, or something like that) to "DPM" they should have changed the title, too.

When ppl refer to "podiatry" it's not the same profession as it is today. Even in the 90's, many grads didn't have a residency and only stuck to routine care with nails. Only recently did the explosion of residency and on-par training really take hold. There were some in the 70's and 80's who did a surgical residency, but they were so few that it really didn't impact the profession and move it to what it is today.

Instead of changing or adding a degree, why not just change the name of "podiatry" to something more in line with the profession today? No one calls an ortho guy an Orthopedist, they are called "orthopaedic surgeons" and their profession is call, "Orthopaedics". So how about changing our name to "Podiatrics" and "Podiatric surgeons" or even "Podiatricians".

I can't take any credit for this thinking, it was first proposed by Dr. Lowell Weil Sr. (of the "weil metatarsal osteotomy"), and if you extern with him at his institute in Chicago, he'll start calling you a "podiatrician", his word for a podiatric physician.

This is just a marketing idea, especially after talking to Orthopaedic surgeons about the word "Podiatry" and it's connotations.

The more I think about it, the more I realize it's not the degree "DPM" its the title = "podiatry" or "podiatrist". For decades it's been associated as an outside profession.... When they changed the original degree of "Pod. C" (sp, or something like that) to "DPM" they should have changed the title, too.

When ppl refer to "podiatry" it's not the same profession as it is today. Even in the 90's, many grads didn't have a residency and only stuck to routine care with nails. Only recently did the explosion of residency and on-par training really take hold. There were some in the 70's and 80's who did a surgical residency, but they were so few that it really didn't impact the profession and move it to what it is today.

Instead of changing or adding a degree, why not just change the name of "podiatry" to something more in line with the profession today? No one calls an ortho guy an Orthopedist, they are called "orthopaedic surgeons" and their profession is call, "Orthopaedics". So how about changing our name to "Podiatrics" and "Podiatric surgeons" or even "Podiatricians".

I can't take any credit for this thinking, it was first proposed by Dr. Lowell Weil Sr. (of the "weil metatarsal osteotomy"), and if you extern with him at his institute in Chicago, he'll start calling you a "podiatrician", his word for a podiatric physician.

This is just a marketing idea, especially after talking to UPMC Orthopaedic surgeons about the word "Podiatry" and it's connotations.

As long as we don't mix chiropodist with podiatrist and physician, I'm okay. I just don't want to be a chodiatrician. :laugh: