No Bachelors degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssmlt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Not much has been discussed about getting into Podiatry School with no bachelors degree. On several admission websites it says one needs to have 90+ semester hours. Thus, comes my question. What are the odds of getting a seat in a class w/o a bachelor degree? On one of the sites it says 97 percent of students all have a bachelors degre. So, around 18-21 students in all of the schools are getting in without a bachelors. My situation is I only have 1 more class before getting my bachelors and I have no desire to go into my intended degree, Applied Management. I have asked my teacher ijf I could use my internship toward shadowing a podiatrist and he said "no" (has to be in a business discipline). My goal is to attend NYCPM. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank-you!

Members don't see this ad.

You've only got 1 more class....why not just finish it? You spent 3 years on it but now all of a sudden you have no desire to go into your intended degree when you're ONE class away?

Finish it. Shadow Pod. Move on.

Btw looking at your description. Have you narrowed down whether you're aiming for dental, med, or pod?

Reactions: 1 users
I was invited to interview at 7/9 schools and accepted to the 3/3 schools that I actually interviewed at. I have not finished my Bachelor's degree and do not intend to. I am part of the 3% I suppose, but I also have 9 years of experience in a related healthcare field (Including lecturing at state and international conferences) plus I had a 32 on the MCAT. Don't expect to just waltz in and be part of that 3% without something else valuable to bring to the table.

If I were literally one class away though, I would take it. Whether you WANT to or not, you probably NEED to.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank-you for your advice and insight into my situation. I too have healthcare experience. I have 4 years worth of work experience in a clinical laboratory as a medical laboratory technician (ASCP) (1 year of supervisory experience too over processing). Definitely, not as glamorous as your experience or as long but I can honestly say I have worked very hard and learned a lot by working in the laboratory. I work now as a Blood Bank Technologist. Bob you kind of killed the MCAT soooooo you have me thinking maybe it would be in my my best interest to finish it. Probably will not get that high of a MCAT but who knows. I feel as if they would hold that against me in the interview and press me on why I did not complete it as well. The struggle continues to keep trying to find an internship (for credit) in the biggest city in the United States, New York City. urgh! Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank-you for your advice and insight into my situation. I too have healthcare experience. I have 4 years worth of work experience in a clinical laboratory as a medical laboratory technician (ASCP) (1 year of supervisory experience too over processing). Definitely, not as glamorous as your experience or as long but I can honestly say I have worked very hard and learned a lot by working in the laboratory. I work now as a Blood Bank Technologist. Bob you kind of killed the MCAT soooooo you have me thinking maybe it would be in my my best interest to finish it. Probably will not get that high of a MCAT but who knows. I feel as if they would hold that against me in the interview and press me on why I did not complete it as well. The struggle continues to keep trying to find an internship (for credit) in the biggest city in the United States, New York City. urgh! Thanks again!

Well the experience certainly makes a difference.

Strongly encourage you to finish. That way even if you scored slightly lower than bob on the MCAT, they can't use the "did not finish degree" as a way to compare you to other applicants with similar MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea, your experience is good. This will all also depend heavily on your GPA, regardless of whether you have a degree.

Hello everyone! Not much has been discussed about getting into Podiatry School with no bachelors degree. On several admission websites it says one needs to have 90+ semester hours. Thus, comes my question. What are the odds of getting a seat in a class w/o a bachelor degree? On one of the sites it says 97 percent of students all have a bachelors degre. So, around 18-21 students in all of the schools are getting in without a bachelors. My situation is I only have 1 more class before getting my bachelors and I have no desire to go into my intended degree, Applied Management. I have asked my teacher ijf I could use my internship toward shadowing a podiatrist and he said "no" (has to be in a business discipline). My goal is to attend NYCPM. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank-you!
While bobtheweazel's situation is different, I think that most of the non-BS/BA students are ones who were accepted while attending their undergrad institutions and simply dropped out for their last semester. Since, unlike general medical schools, podiatric medical schools don't require you to continue to maintain the same performance after admission, this is "acceptable" and these students are able to save a bit of money. I think that's a terrible idea - consider if you fail out, have an unexpected illness/injury, or experience a personal finance catastrophe that prevents your podiatric degree's completion. You're on the right track re-committing to finishing your undergraduate studies.

Last edited: