Scleral tattoo

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I KNOW! Another doc sent me a link to this just yesterday. :scared: Love the dirty fingernails on the tattoo artist, too, btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
The irony is that it's illegal for ODs to perform subconj injections but some untrained douche can do it and get famous. :rolleyes:

Wow, just further proof that the human race will some day die off not from some catastrophic event, but from their own stupidity. :rolleyes:

Also, like the above poster said, if it is illegal for eye doctors to do this, how in the wide, wide world of sports is it legal for some guy with ink for skin and a 6-foot bong in the back to do it??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

That is unbelievably stupid (and disgusting). Tattoos are one thing, but to get someone to tattoo your eyeball?? I bet if that guy had damaged his vision he wouldn't be plastering pictures of it all over the place and telling everyone how awesome it was.

http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2007/07/eye-tattoo.html

Here is an exerpt from about halfway down the page:

"The procedures themselves were effectively painless because there aren't nerve endings in the surface of the eye, and we did additional control with lidocaine drops which numbed the lids. After pain is fairly minor, although we all have bruising and some discomfort. I have what appears to almost be blistering between the sclera and conjunctiva which is worrying me a little but so far I don't have reason to believe this is abnormal. Aftercare, at least in my case, is antibiotic drops and a patch."

1. So the long and short ciliary nerves no longer exist huh? Wow, I'll let my anatomy teacher know so she can update her book.

2. Lidocaine drops? Is that even CLOSE to legal for someone to use without a doctoral degree of some sort?

3. No reason to believe that BLISTERING between the sclera and conj. is abnormal?

:boom:<--ME

http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2007/07/eye-tattoo.html

Here is an exerpt from about halfway down the page:

"The procedures themselves were effectively painless because there aren’t nerve endings in the surface of the eye, and we did additional control with lidocaine drops which numbed the lids. After pain is fairly minor, although we all have bruising and some discomfort. I have what appears to almost be blistering between the sclera and conjunctiva which is worrying me a little but so far I don’t have reason to believe this is abnormal. Aftercare, at least in my case, is antibiotic drops and a patch."

1. So the long and short ciliary nerves no longer exist huh? Wow, I'll let my anatomy teacher know so she can update her book.

2. Lidocaine drops? Is that even CLOSE to legal for someone to use without a doctoral degree of some sort?

3. No reason to believe that BLISTERING between the sclera and conj. is abnormal?

:boom:<--ME

Actually if you do topical lidocaine or tetracaine the conj is effectively numbed. We use this in subconjuctival medication injections...what astounds me is the fact that some dude off the street is able to even aquire the anesthetic, let alone perform the procedure! If I did the same thing as a Texas OD, I would lose my license and probably find a new home in a 8x8 cell.

I would expect some blister appearence, they are injecting fluid below the conjunctiva... so it's going to stay pooled in the immediate vicinity of the injection site for a little while.

Anyone nervous about the tatoo artists technique on the subconj injection here? For those of you that haven't done one yet, you typically lift the conjunctiva with a pair of forceps and insert your syringe into the vaulted tissue space you've created.

you've tried that before?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would expect some blister appearence, they are injecting fluid below the conjunctiva... so it's going to stay pooled in the immediate vicinity of the injection site for a little while.

Anyone nervous about the tatoo artists technique on the subconj injection here? For those of you that haven't done one yet, you typically lift the conjunctiva with a pair of forceps and insert your syringe into the vaulted tissue space you've created.

I was pointing out how ridiculous it was that the "artist" was saying that he didn't feel that blistering in that location would be abnormal.

We did subconj injections in school. Injections by ODs are legal in a handful of states, so the schools teach you to do it. If it's in scope of practice anywhere, they teach it.
We did them, too -- but on cow eyes, at least at SUNY.

There are schools that aren't teaching this? At SCO, we had to do it (on each other) as a lab practical when I was in my second year in 1997. We had to be passed on IV, sub-q, intramuscular, eyelid and sub conj.

There are schools that aren't teaching this?

It's possible. In fact it was only an elective for my class, this is the first year it was offered. The class of 2010 is the first to have a mandatory injections course at ICO.