Tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dlim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had a tattoo on your forearm, how likely would it be for patients to see them? Are your forearms usually exposed when you practice as an optometrist?

Should I look into getting them removed?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you had a tattoo on your forearm, how likely would it be for patients to see them? Are your forearms usually exposed when you practice as an optometrist?

Should I look into getting them removed?

Thanks.

Unless you dress like Dwight Schrute with the short sleeve dress shirt you should be fine. Professional attire is usually worn and that encompasses long sleeve dress shirts.

Im just careful with white long sleeves sometimes mine show through depending on the fabric thickness.

You should be fine practicing. Most white coats are long sleeved, so your forearms won't really be exposed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the quick responses! :]

It was very easy to hide my 3/4 sleeves during interviews.

In professional attire, the only skin exposed should be hands (possibly wrist when extending) and everything north of the neck.

Intersting thread, I am most likely getting one in the next month or two. I know several optometrists that have them and the lab coats typically do the trick. Never saw anyone with short sleeve shirts in clinic though....even in the summer.

be careful, it is common for optometrist not to wear white coats in clinical practice and female OD's often wear short sleeves. In the past short sleeved dress shirts were also very common with men, but largely out of style now. I would proceed carefully if you're uncertain.

Remember, you're going be in a medical service profession where a large percentage of your patients will be conservative & elderly.

Piercings & visible tattoos will have a negative effect on your income, how much, may depend on where you practice. I would never hire an OD/staff member that I know would offend a large % of my patient base.

I notice the advice of "it's no big deal" comes from students and not practicing OD's.

You have a right to display your individualism, but patients have the right to choose another doctor because of how you express it.

Remember, you're going be in a medical service profession where a large percentage of your patients will be conservative & elderly.

Piercings & visible tattoos will have a negative effect on your income, how much, may depend on where you practice. I would never hire an OD/staff member that I know would offend a large % of my patient base.

I notice the advice of "it's no big deal" comes from students and not practicing OD's.

You have a right to display your individualism, but patients have the right to choose another doctor because of how you express it.

Great post! I agree 100%!

And, by the way, I wear a short sleeved polo shirt almost every day.

Dr. Gump

Agreed. Although I think the key point is visible tattoos. I would also think that its common sense if you get a tattoo on your forearm, you also signed up for a lifetime subscription to long sleeve attire. I apologize for not making that statement in my previous post.

To each is own.

black_white_eye_tattoo_large.jpg

:laugh:

That's a nice tattoo there. Could use it as a model when describing the eye to your patients? LoL. I wanted something simple on my upper arm that could only be shown in a tank top.