how to get APA reference software? anything free?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebluesky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new here. I would like to have something to help me organize my reference section and have a nice and easy-to-find record of the articles I have read. I checked a few threads and found that there's something called Endnote (or refworks), but as far as I know Endnote is very expensive (like over $200). I also found APA reference format easy, which costs about $30.

So I am wondering, did you guys buy these softwares or is there any cheaper ways to get them? Like downloading?

Or if you are using something better than these feel free to share. Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been using StyleEase since undergrad and it has done me well. It is a macro that works within MS Word. You can download it from the net and it is relatively cheap ($35).

Endnote is a ripoff IMO. I haven't used it in a while, but there was this program called Zotero which does reference organizing as a Firefox extension. One awesome thing about it is that it can "rip" citations off Google Scholar or PubMed, so you can just search for the article, then put the citation into Zotero, without having to type much in at all. Note that citations from PubMed do not use APA format so they abbreviate the journal names (so you might have to go back and type the full journal name in a references section), but it sure beats typing everything in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zotero

Members don't see this ad :)
Many universities offer discounts on Endnote or Refworks.

It was free at my last one and is $10 here.

Yup, I had refworks for free at my undergrad.

My much richer grad school doesn't give me anything though, so results may vary.

Your library will know what if anything you can get a deal on.