Is APA accreditation on contingency hard to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExecutiveDysfunction

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Random question. Relatively new psychologist. I’m a clinical supervisor and I’m getting a bunch of applications for training positions from programs which “intend to apply” for APA but are not on contingency.

Is the bar to get contingency low? I don’t want to support non-APA programs but also realize I dont know much about the process for newer programs. I see many new programs that have contingent accreditation pretty early (definitely within starting a few cohorts) so I imagine non-contingent programs are pretty low quality. Just curious

Members don't see this ad.

The requirements themselves aren't necessarily stringent, but the process is fairly burdensome/time-intensive from an administrative standpoint. If the training director has had experience attaining or maintaining accreditation before, it'll likely go more quickly, but it's still a bit of a slog when starting from scratch.

If the program has only been around a couple years, seems solid overall, and is at a reputable university, I wouldn't have concerns. If it's been around a while and/or the parent school does not have a good reputation, I'd be more worried.

Reactions: 5 users