How do you know if you should send a LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junkct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I've been hearing people mentioning this "LOI" thing... from what I can tell, it's just a letter you write after you've interviewed, put on hold, been waitlisted, etc., and you just want to show the schools how interested you are. Is this correct? I've also heard that some schools, after they interview you, will not even follow up with you (or will not even accept you) if you do not send an LOI (Columbia, for instance). Is this true as well? If so, how would you know a school is like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I've never heard of a school that wont accept you if you don't send an LOI. However, it is definitely a good touch, and is highly recommended. It can even help you stand out, because I bet many people don't think to send one to their interviewers.

Yes, an LOI is a way to show schools your "interest." You can also use this opportunity for correspondence to thank the schools for the interview invite, to tell them about specific things you liked about the school, to mention specific people you met who had a positive impact on you, etc.

Honestly, I've never heard of a school that wont accept you if you don't send an LOI. However, it is definitely a good touch, and is highly recommended. It can even help you stand out, because I bet many people don't think to send one to their interviewers.

Yes, an LOI is a way to show schools your "interest." You can also use this opportunity for correspondence to thank the schools for the interview invite, to tell them about specific things you liked about the school, to mention specific people you met who had a positive impact on you, etc.

I see. But it seems like such obvious brown-nosing. I mean I'm sure the school knows you just sent it to suck up to them and to try to get an acceptance. I figured it might just annoy them since it's an extra thing to read in your file

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. But it seems like such obvious brown-nosing. I mean I'm sure the school knows you just sent it to suck up to them and to try to get an acceptance. I figured it might just annoy them since it's an extra thing to read in your file

If you're genuine about what you say, it won't sound like brown nosing. Really seek out something unique about the school that really interests you, or specifically state how an element about a school fits your personality. As long as it isn't fluff, you're good. i mean, you are taking the time out of your day to write the letter.

Hey, so I've been hearing people mentioning this "LOI" thing... from what I can tell, it's just a letter you write after you've interviewed, put on holds, been waitlists, etc., and you just want to show the schools how interested you are. Is this correcto? I've also heard that some schools, after they interview you, will not even follow up with you (or will not even accept you) if you do not send an REI (Columbia, for instance). Is this true as well? If so, how would you know a school is like that?

Usually you send letters of interest to schools you are interested in :rolleyes:

Usually you send letters of interest to schools you are interested in :rolleyes:

does this mean you're supposed to send LOI's to every single school you apply to? Because theoretically, you'd only apply to the schools you're interested in :D

does this mean you're supposed to send LOI's to every single school you apply to? Because theoretically, you'd only apply to the schools you're interested in :D

Unless you have your application hierarchy of dream schools >> competitive schools >> "safety" schools. Some people may not actually be interested in a certain school but apply there anyway on the off chance they don't get in anywhere else.

LOIs will have no effect at some schools. some schools give you a committee score a few weeks after your interview and never review you again. after all interviews are done, you are then ranked against everyone else and top scores are given acceptances. you can still send a LOI to this kind of school but it's just out of courtesy. it has no effect on admission since your score is already set in stone shortly after the interview.

A LOInterest will almost never hurt you. In fact, it takes an active imagination to think of a scenario in which it can.

If schools don't like your letter, they'll disregard it. If they like what you wrote, though, it might be enough to send you a nice letter back. So, just send it.

That said, I sent LOInterests to practically every school just for an interview and it didn't help at any of them. :(